The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Irish WWI books this Xmas

ckop4

As it is the book token time of year I thought it might be helpful to make a list of what is available on the subject of Ireland and WWI this Christmas. I was able to get my hands on the following in Waterstones in Cork the other day -

THE KINGDOM IN THE EMPIRE; A PORTRAIT OF KERRY DURING WORLD WAR ONE

Thomas F. Martin

Nonsuch Publishing, Dublin, 2006

ISBN 1 184588 565 1

ANZACS AND IRELAND

Jeff Kildea

Cork University Press, 2007

ISBN 978-185918-422-6

FORGOTTEN HEROES; GALWAY SOLDIERS OF THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918

William Henry

Mercier Press, Cork, 2007

ISBN 978 1 85635 556 8

Anything else to add to the list?

JPC

Yes,

The 16th (Irish) and 36th (Ulster) Divisions at The Battle of Wijtschate-messines Ridge, 7 June 1917

Tom Burke, 2007

ISBN 0-9550418-1-3

( The Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association --- www.greatwar.ie)

How about adding to your list,

For the early period of the War

ANGELS AND HEROES

(The story of a machine gunner with the Royal Irish Fusiliers Aug 1914 -April 1915)

Complied by Amanda Moreno and David Truesdale

ISBN 0 9548383 00

Best Wishes to one and all, those I have met on my travels and those I have yet to meet!

Faugh a Ballagh

Also, the following:

Wigs and Guns. Irish Barristers in the Great War. Anthony P. Quinn ISBN 978-1-85182-935-0

Irish Winners of the Victoria Cross. Richard Doherty and David Truesdale. ISBN 1-85182-442-1

Ireland, the Great War and the Geography of Remembrance. Nuala C. Johnson. ISBN 0-521-82616-0

Ireland and the Great War. Keith Jeffrey. ISBN 0-521-77323-7

They Shall Grow Not Old. Irish Soldiers and the Great War.. Myles Dungan. ISBN 1-85182-347-6

Mayo Comrades of the Great War. P. J. Clarke and Michael Feeney. ISBN 0-9554368-0-X

Sligo Men in the Great War. James McGuinn. ISBN 0-9524841-0-2

The Unreturned Army. Co. Louth Dead in the Great War. Donal Hull. ISBN 0-9521456-4-2

And, of course, there is "Our Heroes", photographs and biographies of Irish officers (and some O.R.s) to July, 1915, which is available as a reprint from Naval and Military Press.

Michael

Michael,

Do you have a copy of Wigs and Guns?, would be interested to know if there is any mention of Captain Vincent James Lynch MC & Bar, Royal Irish Fusiliers.

He was a Barrister at Kings Inns , Dublin

Regards

Andy

Do you have a copy of Wigs and Guns?, would be interested to know if there is any mention of Captain Vincent James Lynch MC & Bar, Royal Irish Fusiliers.

He isn't mentioned, I'm afraid. Tony Quinn gives biographies only of those named on the memorial in the Four Courts in Dublin (see irishwarmemorials.ie/barristers), and Captain Lynch is not among them.

Michael

Thanks to all for your replies and recommendations - by the way, how many irish counties have had rolls of honour/WWI histories published? From the above replies (alphabetically) -

GALWAY

KERRY

LOUTH

MAYO

SLIGO

Thanks to all for your replies and recommendations - by the way, how many irish counties have had rolls of honour/WWI histories published? From the above replies (alphabetically) -

GALWAY

KERRY

LOUTH

MAYO

SLIGO

Also:

Far from the Short Grass. The Story of Kildare Men in Two World Wars. James Durney, ISBN 0-9530521-2-5, as its name implies, covers both wars but should be included in the list.

Follow Them up from Carlow. Paul Maguire. Naas, Paul Maguire, 2002 (No ISBN number)

The Widow's Penny. The record of Limerick men and women who gave their lives in the Great War. Patrick J. McNamara. Limerick, Patrick J. McNamara, 2000. (No ISBN number)

Donegal, Ireland, and the First World War. Niall McGinley, Letterkenny, 2005. No ISBN number.

I didn't give the last three in the previous posting as they would not be obtainable with a book token!

In addition, there are the following:

Dublin City and County Book of Honour. The Great War 1914 - 1918 and

County Donegal Book of Honour. The Great War 1914 - 1918,

both published by the National Book of Honour Committee in recent years (no date, no ISBN number, no publishing details).

There are also several books about towns in Northern Ireland: Portrush (ISBN 0-9537583-1-1), Bushmills (no ISBN number), Ballymoney (ISBN 0-9537583-0-3) and Coleraine (ISBN 0-9537583-4-6), all by Robert Thompson, and Newry (Colin Moffett, ed.) Newry, Newry and Mourne District Council, 2002. ISBN 0-900903-41-4), and one from Bandon, Co. Cork A Journey of Remembrance. Walks in the Footsteps of Bandon soldiers. (Barry Ellis and Willam Good, ed. Bandon, Bandon War Memorial Committee, 2005; no ISBN number)

Michael

'There's a devil in the Drum' by John Lucy

'A Long Long Way' by Sebastian Barry

The first is non-fiction about 2 brothers who joined the army and served in Great War, second a fictional work based very strongly on fact and very well researched. Main character is a Dublin lad. Barry also has another book which is based in a topic that has arisen in the forum - Irish ex-soldiers joining RIC. 'The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty'

A new Memorial Book on Cookstown has been recently published. Review follows when I have hoked through it.

First glance .. tin does says etc

Nice job. Will have for look ups.

Des

Thanks for all your replies - eleven counties and six or so towns - maybe its time we all set to work this year :D Speaking of which, best wishes to all for the New Year and thanks for your replies. JPC

I liked Ireland and the Great War: "A War to Unite Us All? by Adrian Gregory (ed.), Senia Paseta (ed.). A collection of essays regarding the invlovement of the country during the First World War it has some interesting material on the politics of remembrance, the 36th Ulster, the 1918 conscription decision and, of course, the growth of Irish nationalism before and after the 1916 rising.

Jon

'There's a devil in the Drum' by John Lucy

'A Long Long Way' by Sebastian Barry

The first is non-fiction about 2 brothers who joined the army and served in Great War, second a fictional work based very strongly on fact and very well researched. Main character is a Dublin lad. Barry also has another book which is based in a topic that has arisen in the forum - Irish ex-soldiers joining RIC. 'The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty'

I'd like to second Ollydot . The Sebastian Barry book is very moving .

Inishowen Heroes 1914-1918 by Robert Thompson was launched this year up at Fort Dunree.

• 4 weeks later...