The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books for Christmas - what did you get?

Max Poilu

Under Flanders Fields which now supplements a much thumbed War Underground and..

Through German Eyes - the British and the Somme 1916

It's a collection of Great War related cartoons from around the world, and is written by Mark Bryant and published by Grub Street www.grubstreet.co.uk

About 150 pages of cartoons, and a wonderfully fascinating book.

For Christmas my parents gave me two copies of the 1936 Vimy Pilgrimage books given to those on the official tour, along with a box of original snapshots taken at the event. The inside of the books were marked by the owners - two brothers who were veterans.

The books explain how the tour works, the arrangements, logistics, and some background information.

I've posted pictures of the book and the photographs on my website if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Vimy Pilgrimage - photographs

I received Faces of WW1 by Max Arthur, Just finished looking/reading it. an Excellent book. The chapter titled aftermath has some poignant pictures, namely one showing a ex soldier running alongside King Georges carriage apparently begging with his cap in his outstretched arm, Also the image titled "A land fit for hero's"

Bought myself "The Last fighting Tommy" by Harry Patch with a book voucher that I received.

Definitely my last two books that I will buy on the subject of The Great War, My bookshelf overfloweth's <_<

The only book I got this year was 'Jum's War'.

I hadn't actually seen this one on the bookshelves but I will look forward to reading it. The summary of the book is as follows

William Charles Bevan was a wild child, unruly and a handful, aggressive and fiercely competitive. He was also extremely strong, so strong that his friends nicknamed him 'Jumbo', as in the elephant, soon shortened to Jum. As an adult, Jum was an athlete, larrikin, horseman, musician, lover, husband, father and a fighter, on and off the blood-soaked battlefields of the First World War. His estranged son George remembered him only as a troubled, violent man. When George discovers Jum's wartime diaries and medals, he decides to find out what he can about the father he never really knew. In this dramatised biography, George uses Jum's war diary to recreate his father's wartime experiences as an artilleryman and mounted runner, interweaving the diary excerpts with his own memories and longings. In so doing, he shares with the reader his own struggle to understand and make peace with the estranged, violent father whose funeral he had not attended, and whose emotional and physical decline had caused as much suffering for his wife and children as for himself.

Gave a stocking present DVD "All Quiet on the Western Front" . Have 2 books on permanent loan from a local perspective:

Gallipoli, The West Australian Story by Wes Olson and

Lords of death, A people a Place a Legend by Suzanne Welborn

and plan to buy myself a couple of New Year gifts ^_^

Cheers

Shirley

A Christmas present to myself - a 1962 hardback of Covenant of Death by John Harris

For info, both Faces of War and the Last Fighting Tommy are half price at Waterstones....

Definitely my last two books that I will buy on the subject of The Great War, My bookshelf overfloweth's <_<

No problem - get some more book shelves!!

I have to admit that we are on the verge of building a new set of bookshelves to cope with the ever growing library - I suspect the New Year's Resolution is to start converting the timber into shelves and to include some space for boxed ephemera.

Marina

Wipers Times is a fantastic book to read, so much humor, be careful when & where your reading it, it will have you giggling your socks off!!!!! LOL

Mandy

Somme, 1 July 1916, Andrew Robertshaw.

The Last Fighting Tommy,Harry Patch and Richard Van Emden

Passchendaele,The Story of the Fallen and Tyne Cot Cemetery

My Boy Jack,Tonie and Valmai Holt

Should keep me going for a while.

The Desert Column by Ion Idriss.

I had read it some years ago, and recently obtained a good condition copy via ebay, which transmuted itself into a pressie from Mrs T.

Season's Greetings

Ian

I got "Twenty years after - The battlefields of 1914-1918" published in 1938

Its a three volume set and has 2000+ pages containing lots of photos and a comparison photo taken in the 1930's.

My plan is to try and visit some of the places and take photos as it is today..

I've been lucky !! ..... Santa was good to me ......... :) I got these plus plus another WW2 POW book and a Boer War !! howzat ??

First World War ... a complete history .... Martin Gilbert

The First World War ...... John Keegan

Prisoners of the Japanese POW's of WW2 in the Pacific .... Gavan Daws

We've been snowed in ... so I had a good opportunity to stretch out on the couch under a blanket and read !!

Annie :)

Clunt,

happy hunting, it is great using then and now some you can really see and others are little more difficult but really good fun, especially done with friends and the little arguments! LOL

mandy

The Old Front Line by John Masefield was in my Christmas stocking.

Must get myself The Wipers Times as have been promising it for some time now.

Cliff

Must get myself The Wipers Times...
Cliff, you will really enjoy it. Reminded me of my Grandfather and his sense of humour, so many jokes and funny stories that he brought back from the Great War.

Robert

I got Max Arthur's Faces of WW1.

I've enjoyed going through the photos - but have spotted an extreme howler in the captioning.

It's to do with the Battle of The Marne in 1914. Anyone else spotted it?