Ghosts Have Warm Hands by Will R. Bird

The German Army On The Somme 1914-1916 by Jack Sheldon

They should keep me going for a while

Mud, Blood and Poppycock by Gordon Corrigan

The Agony of Gallipoli by John Laffin

West Country Regiments on the Somme by Tim Saunders

All from the same daughter :D

Dave

I actually got two Great War related titles this year-which is a bit rare (rare in I usually don't get anything Great War related).

"Standing Orders of the Seaforth Highlanders, 1912"

Covers 1st and 2nd Battalions and I now have the pre-war (immediately before the war) Standing orders of all the Regular Highland units except the 2nd Bn BW (I have the 1st Bn Standing Orders--did the 2nd have ). I have a small collection of pre-war Standing Orders. They can range from some very mundane info to some eye opening revelations. The Seaforths falls in between.

"Drab Serge and Khaki Drill, the Forein Service, Universal Service Dress and Combat Dress of the Canadian Army, 1899-2003"

This was published by "Parks Canada" more as a guide for Museum Curators as such is difficult to find and generally not for public sale (wont find it on Amazon) due to I believe what I would consider some rather odd Canadian policies. Probably the best single source at the moment for Canadian made jackets. However, I would warn that the sections on British SD and KD have dated info and follow an incorrect timeline (but can still used to show what preceded what). However, this should be used for the Canadian jackets and not the British.

Joe Sweeney

I received the "Photo's of the Great War by Andriessen somw years ago, it was mentioned in an earlier post, I thought that there had been no proof reading before publishing as the facts seemed very off, I had to give up reading it as it was very hard to read, great pics though.

I received "Faces of the Great War" which is excellent.

I'm also still waiting for "KIlling Time" which is all about the archeololgy of the Western Front, as anyone else read that as it is still in the ether at the moment.

Santa was very good to me too:

The Faces of World War I (Max Arthur)

Bugle Boy (LLen Chester) and

Cheerful Sacrifice (Jonathan Nicholls)

I started reading Cheerful Sacrifice first and found I couldn't put it down - marvellous if harrowing descriptions (at times I felt I was there) and lots of coverage of the battles - except the SLI only got two sentences in the whole book, humph!! (Pals may know I'm researching two family members, one of whom was killed at Fampoux). Will definitely re-read once I've finished the others.

Mabel

A happy, healthy and successful research in 2008 to one and all.

Mabel - even the title makes it sound as though it is going to be a wonderful read - I might have to invest in a copy! I got a most curious little volume that a friend picked up in a charity shop, so I'm fairly sure it's limited edition.

I was an Eighth Army soldier

by Driver Robert John Crawford

R.A.S.C

as narrated to Major John Dalgleish

R.A.S.C

Published in 1944, and I'm fairly certain, from the smell and texture of the pages, as well as the scrawled name on the flyleaf (WM Wilkes, April 1944) that it's a first edition.

The book was composed by a staff-Officer and driver on tour in South-Eastern England in 1943. The Eighth army soldiers were 'Desert rats'. The events narrated took place during the Second World War, over a period of two years from 1941-1942, but I found it, amongst other things, a curious insight into how British attitudes towards the Germans and towards Nationalism changed between the Great War and the one in the book. Bearing in mind that the memoirs were composed when WW2 was approaching it's end, to quote:

'Admittedly we knew of German plans for the conquest of Europe. We knew this was a bad thing. We would probably have fought, merely to prevent this happening.

Yet, it was a stronger spirit that inspired us. It was a love of home, and a desire to get home again as quickly as possible.

We knew, then, that Britain and its homes was something worth fighting for. It was odd that we had to sail sixteen thousand miles, and live like wild animals, before we could appreciate the beauty and stateliness of our own land; yes, even the unlovely slums of London and Birmingham took on a new light out there.

As we hardened up under our work; as bodies became fitter and our minds became clearer, we developed an intense pride in being British.'

That, I believe, illustrates a fundamental difference between the two world wars. During the Great War, there was surely not this increasing sense of clarity and purpose as the war progressed. And I don't think many of the homecoming tommies in 1918 would have regarded Britain as 'stately.' That said, the one thing the fighting men had in common with those of the last generation was the idea that they were being motivated by a 'stronger spirit', a greater force than they could understand, but that they quite blindly acquiesced to it.

Katie

My daughter was lucky finding something I didn't have and liked, the Last Fighting Tommy, Harry Patch with Richard Van Emden....

Just as good as Richard's other works with the last of the Great War veterans. A good read but thought provoking, Harry has outlived two wives, two sons and a partner and still bounces back.

Received only one Great War related book for Christmas, but got a few book vouchers so spent those as well. The present was:

The Last Fighting Tommy (Harry Patch)

I bought:

Forgotten Voices of the Great War (Max Arthur)

The Somme (Peter Hart)

Call to Arms: The British Army 1914-18 (Charles Messenger)

Happy New Year.

Richard

Not wishing to sound too boring since I've mentioned this years goodies once in another thread, I received a full set of 'Army Orders 1915'. Not exactly rivetting reading for a lot of you folks out there, but if you're an anorak and into the administration and running of an Army these are the things to read.

Cost an arm and a leg, but luckily my dear mam had sent some cash along which helped to pay for it and before my wife and daughter had time to get me something I stopped them and told them what I was after. On querying the price my wife seemed quite surprised and replied "How much?????". To which I had to repeat, but reminding her that I already had some money towards it and they hadn't bought me anything. She thought for a moment then said "considering it'll probably cost me 50 quid to get my hair done today - I'll let you off".

Can't beat it full set of 1915 AO's and a caution from the misses. Thank you Santa.

A belated 'all the best for 2008' everyone,

Graham.

We got,Winks,this yrs edition.

Baers/Baurs /thingies helmet bible again but in German(magic)

Beano '08(hoping this has detailed photos of small packs).

Secrets of a Kuttite

Other Ranks of Kut

Morand's History of the 13th Hussars

All ordered by me and presented by family...........

Spotted on Abebooks and bought for myself

History of the 20th(Field) Company Royal Bombay Sappers and Miners 1914-18

- this is a reprint from the Royal Engineers Journal - first part deals with actions in France 14-15 in great detail and second with Mes and Palestine 1916 onwards

Found the following website: http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org which has loads of Regimental historys on CD or for download.

Wipers Times is a great book - bought it for my Father in Law as I am fortunate to have an original copy retrieved by my wife from a pub toilet (get it).

Mike

This was a great Christmas for me for books:

- At The Sharp End, by Tim Cook, a study of the CEF during the first half of the war.

- Baptism of Fire, by Nathan Greenfield, a wonderful acount of the Canadians at 2nd Ypres.

- The Canadian Corps in World War One, in the Osprey Men-At-Arms series.

- Fifteen Days, by Christie Blatchford, which covers the current Canadian involvement in Afghjanistan.

- Military Antiques and Collectables of the Great War-A Canadian Collection. This is a huge coffee-table book,incredible detail, covering the CEF collection of Victor Taboika. 363 pages,covering what must be the most comprehensive collection in Canada.

This was a great Christmas for me for books:

- At The Sharp End, by Tim Cook, a study of the CEF during the first half of the war.

- Baptism of Fire, by Nathan Greenfield, a wonderful acount of the Canadians at 2nd Ypres.

- The Canadian Corps in World War One, in the Osprey Men-At-Arms series.

- Fifteen Days, by Christie Blatchford, which covers the current Canadian involvement in Afghjanistan.

- Military Antiques and Collectables of the Great War-A Canadian Collection. This is a huge coffee-table book,incredible detail, covering the CEF collection of Victor Taboika. 363 pages,covering what must be the most comprehensive collection in Canada.