The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cameronian Uniforms - info needed please

MargoH

post-27066-1198966659.jpgI have three photos of my husband’s great uncle, Willie Hutchison, in uniform. We would be grateful for any information which an expert eye can glean from these - I've uploaded 2 photos. He served in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Thanks for any pointers, however obvious to you!

post-27066-1198966717.jpg

Aly's Mum,

The second photo clearly shows him with Glen Badge of the Scottish Rifles/Cameronians. He is wearing a very standard Service Dress Jacket with Rifles type buttons. Not much to add and not much distinguishing other than that.

The upper photo is interesting and I'm not sure what to make of it--and I'm not sure its associated with SR. My knowledge base is mostly with the Service Dress uniform so I hope someone can add a lot more info on the top photo.

Joe Sweeney

The top photo is a beauty and is a photo of the 1st Lanarkshire Volunter Rifle Corps, which would have become the 1st Volunteer Bn, Scottish Rifles, but is a title which they never assumed. They wore an Elcho grey uniform with blue facings and as far as I'm aware never ever adopted scarlet, even when as Territorials they became the 5th Battalion in 1908.

Graham.

PS

Could you please anlarge it?

Just caught this at home (on holiday over the hols, whoopee!). The top pic is a doozy, I've not seen the 1st LVR with that style of cap, we don't seem to have any of that particular example in our collection (not that we have much in the way of LVR stuff). I'd love to see an enlarged scan of the badge please - I should be able to post a coloured pic of the tunic and the dicing from the hat (different style but same coloured dicing) when I get back to work. It's a beautiful uniform.

Barrie

Many thanks for the info so far. What a fount of knowledge this forum is!

Here is an enlarged version of the cap in the top picture. I've added a third photo as well.

post-27066-1199020630.jpg

post-27066-1199020706.jpg

So who's the chap in the kilt? He isn't Cameronians (not with a kilt, surely?).....bonnet badge looks either Gordons or Seaforths: I daresay someone will know from the tartan patch on the arm.

Have to agree, they are smashing pictures.

Agree real crackers and the last photo from the cap badge is a Cameronian he also has two wound stripes.

Rob

...another bead on the chain of confusion....the sporran appears to be of Cameron pattern, that is Cameron and not Cameronian, (who were kiltless anyway) and the hose could possibly be green and red such as the Cameron's wore. However, the sett of the kilt is not Cameron of Erracht. Go figure.......

DrB

:huh:

So who's the chap in the kilt? He isn't Cameronians (not with a kilt, surely?).....bonnet badge looks either Gordons or Seaforths: I daresay someone will know from the tartan patch on the arm.

The photos are all of the same person. His medal index cards show an entry for KOSB - does that explain anything?

Not really, 'cos the KOSB (King's own Scottish Borderers) weren't kilted, either. How odd.

Have done a blow up and he's still wearing a Cameronians badge in his Balmoral, and what else do you see - well he isn't wearing a cut away pattern SD jacket at all, he's folded the skirt back delibrately to show off both kilt and sporran. Now why would he do that? - well for my money and having seen exactly the same thing happen before in photos to the Tyneside Scottish, here we have a man who's borrowd a kilt and sporran and has had his photo taken for the folks back home.

As for Cameronians not wearing kilts, certainly not the rank & file, but Cameronian pipers did. The tartan patch looks to be that of the 15th Scottish Division and from 1916 - 1918 the 10th Scottish Rifles were serving in that Division. I'm betting on borrowed kilt and hose.

Graham.

The wee scamp :lol:

...but definately not his best coat....the buttons appear to be brass vice blackened

as for a rifle regiment.

DrB

You've all provided some really useful insights. Can I prevail on your good nature with this final photo? We know what the medals were (we have them). Presumably this is him back in his "normal" uniform?

post-27066-1199137001.jpg

Yes - what would be descibed as normal wearing SD trousers with his SD jacket. Now medal experts here may be able to give us a rough date, because they'll know at what dates these medals were being issued. My own thought are that we're looking at post-1918, probably even as late as 1920. I'm also still convinced he's with 10th Scottish Rifles, as that cloth tartan diamond is the battle patch of the 15th(Scottish)Division, so it looks as though he's gone to them at some stage during the war. Did he ever mention srving in Germany at the end of the war?

Graham.

Does anyone else think there is something strange looking about the medal ribbons ?

Is the BWM the wrong way round or am I seeing things ?

P.B.

...but definately not his best coat....the buttons appear to be brass vice blackened

as for a rifle regiment.

DrB

Since Jackets were issued with GS (Royal Coat of Arms) buttons it is very common to have these on jackets of units that would have normally changed them for the black buttons.

In wartime the pre-war practice of issuing two jackets was for the most part stopped--particularly for units on active service--he is probably wearing his only jacket.

Joe Sweeney

Does anyone else think there is something strange looking about the medal ribbons ?

Is the BWM the wrong way round or am I seeing things ?

P.B.

If you're referring to which ribbons are on which medals, they are the wrong way round (the VM ribbon being on the BWM, and vice versa). The BWM does appear to be backwards as well (showing the mounted figure) but some men evidently decided to do this to show off the more decorative side as opposed to the Kings Head.

However, if you're referring to the colours looking odd, this is just a result of the photography process used at this time (making some light colours look dark, and some dark colours look light).

Some photographs of a 1st LRV uniform. Not the best pics in the world (taken in a hurry) but hopefully give an idea of the colours. The sparse records we have for this particular uniform state that it was worn by the Colonel of the 1st LRV - whether that means the OC or the Colonel of the Regiment, i'm not sure, but it seems pretty basic either way - although the epaulettes are quite fancy.

post-9547-1199464593.jpg

post-9547-1199464630.jpg

post-9547-1199464659.jpg

Forgot the hat - as I said, not the same style, but the dicing would be the same colour.

post-9547-1199466328.jpg