The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Maj Gen Oliver Nugent and the Ulster Division 1915-1918

ALANJONES

The Army Records Society (ARS) have just published this edited collection of Nugent' papers. I am not an expert on the Division or Nugent but thought this would be of interest to many.

Sutton publish the book at £50, but the ARS is a subscription membership which entitles you to a new publication each year [sometimes two]. The link below takes you to the ARS sites [specifically their previous publications, many of which will be of interest to members of the Forum]. Joining as a member entitles you to Nugent's volume and the opportunity to order back copies. You can chose how long you wish to remain a member for, of course. but I have found the range of topics particularly interesting.

http://www.armyrecordssociety.org.uk/PreviousPubs.htm

The papers are based around his letters, most to his wife, and have a frank and very contemporary tone, providing an insight into the battles fought by the Ulster Division/36th Division and the highly charged political context of its formation and the relationship with the Irish Division. His descriptions of front line command are also illuminating for those who wonder how often 'The Brass' went forward. He was an enthusiast for aeriel recces, going over the enemy lines himself, and took a keen interest in the results of raids. He tells of the harsh realities of combat, describing one particular raid in detail 'our men [North Irish Horse] were rather excited and saw red and they took no prisoners. They did take some at first, but got bored with them and killed them ...............'.

Recommended as a particularly informative read - it would be interesting to hear from others who know more about the specific events.

Alan

I would echo what you say, Alan. I found it a fascinating read and had not realised quite what a narrow political tightrope Nugent had to walk. Certainly it should be mandatory reading for anyone with an interest in 36th (Ulster) Division.

Charles M

The man himself.

From what I have read, he did not suffer fools gladly. 'Sorted' a lot of the 'by political appointment' officers pretty early in his reign. A hard driver but also a man who was keen to see exactly what his troops had to deal with. A regular visitor to front line trenches according to various war diaries I have seen.

Not always popular with his men, he does seem to have been deeply respected by them (except on a couple of notable occasions when he deemed they may have done better - one of these, amazingly, on 1st July 1916!)

Was almost heartbroken by the Division's 'failure' on 16 August 1917 ... wrote some very soul searching letters around that time.

Opened Ballymena War memorial by the way.

Keith Jeffry wrote a very salient article on the man's attitude to memorial in the post war period. He writes:-

At the dedications of war memorials-an all-to-frequent occurrence in the 1920s-some sentiments were expressed which we would do well to recall today. Among the most striking is the speech made by General Sir Oliver Nugent (who had commanded the 36th (Ulster) Division at the Somme) at the dedication of the war memorial in Virginia, County Cavan, in August 1923. 'The day', he said, 'is not, I hope, far distant when the memory of all those of our country who gave their lives for civilisation as we interpret it and in obedience to what they believed to be their duty will be honoured and perpetuated in every town and village in Ireland' (emphasis added). These are signally tolerant and inclusive remarks, especially for their time. But the call to remember all the fallen resonates with us still today. Perhaps, after eighty years, we can rise to Sir Oliver Nugent's challenge.

Read more about Nugent at this link

http://www.freewebs.com/ireland1418/aftermath.htm

post-1582-1199105093.jpg