The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Soldiers Died" - Equivalent for British Indian Army?

swordcollector1

Hello, and a very Happy New Year to one and all!

I have the excellent Soldiers Died CD-ROM from the Naval & Military Press, but was wondering if anyone knows of any equivalent publication covering the war dead of the British Indian Army? One of my areas of interest is Indian Army officer casualties of the WW1 period, and though this information can be found on the CWGC website, it lacks some of the detail and the search facilities provided by the CD.

I'd be interested in rolls of honour or just plain name/regiment listings - even a good "old-fashioned" paper book with a decent index would be good!

Kind regards,

John

The Cross of Sacrifice series contains a volume 'Officers who Died in the Service of British, Indian and East African Regiments and Corps give name rank, regt/corps date of death and burial/memorial.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchRe...amp;x=0&y=0

John

"The Cross of Sacrifice Volume 1" is a useful buy because, in Tanzania (formerly German East Africa) for example where many Indian Army officers died, the initial burial place is listed.

On the CWGC site you only obtain the last burial place, as later all the small CWGC sites were consolidated into a few.

This extra information helps you locate the area where the death occurred and often, with the date, points you towards a specific action traceable in the Official or a unit History.

Good Luck

Harry

It would be rather nice to have an Indian/Pakistani resident WW1 collector to tell us about the scene on the sub-continent. I imagine going round the bazaars (or are they Turkish?) buying casualty and gallantry groups for a song. Wishful thinking!

I've just had a look on ebay India, just 2 BWMs.

"The Cross of Sacrifice Volume 1" is a useful buy because, in Tanzania (formerly German East Africa) for example where many Indian Army officers died, the initial burial place is listed.

On the CWGC site you only obtain the last burial place, as later all the small CWGC sites were consolidated into a few.

This extra information helps you locate the area where the death occurred and often, with the date, points you towards a specific action traceable in the Official or a unit History.

Thanks for the info, Harry - I hadn't realised the Cross of Sacrifice contains that extra bit of detail!

John