The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fromelles - Patrick Lindsay

DaveMurphy

G'day Pals,

I have been given a copy of this book for Christmas, after buying it myself, and now have to get rid of one!

Although not yet read it, it looks to be a good read, and has only very recently been released in Australia. The jacket reads:

"Many of our Diggers survived Gallipoli only to lose their lives in an ill-conceived battle near the tiny French village of Fromelles. They were outnumbered two to one by an entrenched German force. In the blackest night in Australian history - 19 July 1916 - the Diggers suffered 5533 casualties, with almost 2000 killed. Against all odds, hundreds of our soldiers broke through enemy lines, never to return. Their fate has been unknown for close to a century. They simply disappeared into the mists of history. Until now."

It is 393 pages and can be viewed here: http://www.patricklindsay.com.au/

Note that I have no association with the author.

I will happily provide it free to any Pal who thinks they might want it, particular preference will be given to those who have provided me assistance in my research, those who may have had an ancester who fought in the battle, those in the UK who may not have access to the book yet, and not necessarily the first in.

Either post here any questions or send me a PM.

Cheers,

Dave

G'day Dave - I would be happy to give your surplus a good home. How about a trade for FIFA '07 or a Tamagotchi? I'll even meet you half way to save on postage....

Simmo.

Go the Dockers!

G'day Simmo,

Book has been sent to Malta mate.. my next offer was for a box of Tamagotchi's anyhow!

Pity, I could have delivered it in person, I was over your way last weekend. The cheapest I have found it on sale was for $25 at Big W.

Dockers...?? I am from Geelong mate, end of story!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave what part of Geelong mate.I am a Torquay Lad!!

G'day Rob,

Welcome to the forum mate. Plenty of Geelong soldiers worth researching from WWI!

Grew up in Corio, nothing too special there.. although my mum did work at Ripcurl in Torquay for about 10 years.

Have lived in Sydney for the past ten years tho'

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

any idea when this is to be published in the UK ?

Mick D

Sorry to say lads, but my advice would be to save your money on this one.

Rather, I'd go out and find a copy of Paul Cobb's book Fromelles: 1916 instead. Its less hysterical and certainly more historical.

A.

Sorry to say lads, but my advice would be to save your money on this one.

I agree. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the fine efforts of Simmo, I've acquired a copy of this book.

Hopefully over this weekend I'll get to read some of it.

For what it's worth I'll post my opinion !

Mick

(many thanks to you Simmo, for your kind assistance :) )

"Their fate has been unknown for close to a century. They simply disappeared into the mists of history. Until now."

Unknown? Disappeared? Until now? What? So has Patrick Lyndsay - author of such well-researched bastions of scholarly excellence as "The Spirit of the Digger" and "The Spirit of Kokoda"* finally worked out what happened at Fromelles? Funny, I thought Charles Bean did that in the mid-1920s, followed by several other authors including Paul Cobb, Peter Pedersen and practically every other author who has ever written about the AIF.

* The titles of Lyndsay's books, not to mention the depth and substance of their content, suggests that their esteemed author has resorted to seances and ouija boards as sources for research.