The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Paths of Glory

John_Hartley

Well known as a film. Not so well known as a novel. It's a good read.

The first half of the book concerns itself with the routines of trench life and the planning for the attack which will fail and have dramatic consequences for three characters. Forum rules forbid discussions about wartime executions and I am not about to start a debate. The issue forms a major part of the film but is not, in my view, Cobb's major theme in the book. His major theme seems to be actually a study of how he sees that people behave in organisations - particularly hierarchial organisations and it has relevenance 70 years on.

Cobb was born of American parents but lived most of his life abroad. His early years were in France which is, perhaps, why his story is of French men. He served with the CEF during the war and was wounded and gassed and came to live in America in the 1930s where he wrote the book. I believe he died in the mid-1940s.

Seemingly not in current print, I think I find myself fortunate to have picked up a copy for $1 from a charity booksale that was on when we stopped for lunch last September in the little town of Beaufort, South Carolina.

John

The 1956 movie Paths of Glory is one of my favourite films. As such I did read Cobb's book but still enjoy the movie immeasurably more. Why? Leaving aside medium, cultural differences and the impact of post ww2 politics rather than than the interwar period I found Cobb's book somewhat ploddingly written though dealing with very interesting sociological observations and author comprehension of human problems.

John

P.S. The movie The Caine Mutiny and the very famous novel for which it is based on is a rare example where I thoroughly enjoyed BOTH the movie AND the book.