The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt-Col C. G. Buckle

trin1054

Hello all, I'm seeking further information on Christopher Galbraith Buckle.

I've inexpertly mapped out his career based on what I could find on the London Gazette but I'm still lacking his MC and DSO citations if they can be found? I've also failed to locate his death notice/obit in The Times.

Any other info re 2nd Northamptons in May 1915 and other references to him gratefully received.

Name: BUCKLE, CHRISTOPHER GALBRAITH

Initials: C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 27/05/1918

Awards: D S O, M C

Additional information: Son of Maj. Gen. Christopher Reginald Buckle, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. (R.A.), and Mrs. Elizabeth B. Buckle, of "Beechwood," Iffley, Oxford; husband of R. E. Buckle, of Steelbacks, Overstrand, Cromer, Norfolk.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial

Reference: II. A. 10.

Cemetery: LA VILLE-AUX-BOIS BRITISH CEMETERY

11/11/1914: Promoted Lieutenant to Captain (25/10/1914)

14/01/1916: Awarded MC

16/04/1916: Captain to Temporary-Major (14/02 - 13/03/1916)

28/07/1916: Temporary-Major while 2nd in command of a Battalion (W. Riding) 16 June 1916

21/11/1916: To be Acting Lt.-Col. whilst commanding a Battalion (22/08/1916)

18/12/1917: MiD

28/12/1917: To be Brevet Lt.-Col.

21/05/1918: To command a Battalion and retain acting rank of Lt.-Col.

18/06/1918: Bt. Maj. C.G. Buckle to retain acting rank of Lt.-Col. 12 April 1918 (?)

09/08/1918: Bt. Maj. C.G. Buckle to retain acting rank of Lt.-Col. 03 May 1918 (?)

Cheers,

Marc

Marc

This is Buckle's entry in the Marlborough College Register.

Christopher Galbraith BUCKLE

Son of Captain C.R.Buckle RA, Much Hadham, Herts

born 15.3.1888

Marlborough College May 1901 to Mid.1903

Northamptonshire Regiment 1907

Great War - Brevet Major 1918

DSO 1917

MC 1916

Despatches three times

KIA 27.5.18

Son

Christopher Richard Sandford BUCKLE

son of late Capt.C.G. Buckle, Steelbacks, Overstrand, Norfolk

born 6.8.1916

Marlborough College Jan.1930 to Mid.1934

Balliol College, Oxford

Stage Designer

Dave

Marc

His service file is at Kew under WO339/6888.

Bestwishes

Sotonmate

Thanks Chaps - much appreciated. Didn't know he went to Marlborough.

His son was also a ballet critic, I believe, and has an autobiography I need to chase up.

Cheers!

I MIGHT have a bit on him. MIGHT do....! (plus photo). ;)

He commanded both the 2nd battalion and the 6th (briefly) during his time. He was killed at the Chemin des Dames when almsot the entire 2nd Battalion was captured or killed. Plenty on here about the battles of the Chemin des Dames.

My project for this evening it seems. :D

Steve.

Thanks Steve - much appreciated.

My home pc's knackered so I won't be able to reply to anything tonight, unfortunately. (Yes, I am abusing work time...)

I'll look in to Chemin des Dames.

My starter for ten....

Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Galbraith Buckle, D.S.O., M.C.

post-6536-1200593750.jpg

Name: BUCKLE, CHRISTOPHER GALBRAITH

Initials: C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 27/05/1918

Awards: DSO, MC

Additional information: Son of Maj. Gen. Christopher Reginald Buckle, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. (R.A.), and Mrs. Elizabeth B. Buckle, of "Beechwood," Iffley, Oxford; husband of R. E. Buckle, of Steelbacks, Overstrand, Cromer, Norfolk.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 10.

Cemetery: LA VILLE-AUX-BOIS BRITISH CEMETERY

- Commissioned from Royal Military College as Second-Lieutenant in Northamptonshire Regiment on 8th October 1907.

- Promoted to Lieutenant on 30th June 1909.

- Seconded to the Colonial Office from 10th January 1912.

- Promoted to Captain on 25th October 1914.

- Joined 1st Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment at Oblinghem from West Africa on 7th June 1915 after battle of Aubers Ridge.

- Wounded in late August 1915 at Vermelles.

- Awarded M.C. in New Year's Honours 1916 for devotion to duty at Vermelles.

- MID 1-1-1916

- Joined 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 14th February 1916, and appointed as Second-in-Command.

- Appointed temporary Major from 14th February 1916 to 13th March 1916.

- Reverted to Captain in command of "B" Company on 14th March 1916, upon the return of Major Haldane to the battalion.

- Appointed Temporary Major whilst second-in-command of a battalion of the West Riding Regiment from 16th June 1916.

- Took command of 2nd battalion shortly after battle of Contalmaison on 7th July 1916.

- Appointed acting Lieutenant Colonel whilst commanding 2nd Northamptons from 22nd August 1916.

- Awarded D.S.O. for leadership of the 2nd Northamptons during an attack in early 1917, probably at Bouchavesnes on 4th March 1917. "His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointments of the undermentioned Officers to be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the Field: Capt. (actg. Lt.-Col.) Christopher Galbraith Buckle, M.C., North'n R. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of his battalion. He visited the captured trenches during the action and gave orders regarding dispositions and consolidation. The dash of his battalion in the attack and their tenacity in holding the position won, were to a considerable extent due to his influence."

- Wounded in head by a sniper whilst walking the line at Bouchavesnes on 12th March 1917 and remained at duty.

- Wounded at approx. 2.15pm on 27th July 1917 by an 8" shell scoring a direct hit on battalion HQ at Hooge during an officer briefing, but remained at duty.

- Wounded in ankle on 19th September 1917 by wayward signal rocket and laid up for a week.

- Left battalion for an appointment in England on 23rd October 1917.

- MID 21-12-1917

- Promoted to Brevet Major in New Year's Honours of 1918.

- Commanded ????? battalion from 17th November 1917 to 10th April 1918.

- Commanded 6th Northamptons, following the wounding of Lt. Col. Reginald Turner, from 12th April 1918 to 3rd May 1918.

- Returned to command the 2nd Northamptons from 3rd May 1918 until his death on 27th May 1918 at Juvincourt, Chemin des Dames when the battalion HQ was surrounded during a German surprise attack.

- MID 28-12-1918

- Buried at La Ville-Aux-Bois British Cemetery, Grave Reference II. A. 10.

- Son of Maj. Gen. Christopher Reginald Buckle, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. (R.A.), and Mrs. Elizabeth B. Buckle, of "Beechwood," Iffley, Oxford.

- Husband of R. E. Buckle, of Steelbacks, Overstrand, Cromer, Norfolk.

------

Various sources:

Medal card of Buckle, Christopher Galbraid (sic)

Corps Regiment No Rank

Northamptonshire Regiment Captain

Northamptonshire Regiment Lieutenant Colonel

War Office file: WO 339/6888 BUCKLE C G, Col 1906-1920 (Not yet reviewed)

War Diary, Northamptonshire Regiment History 1914-18 & London Gazette entries

LG 8-10-1907

War Office, Whitehall,

8th October, 1907.

The undermentioned Gentlemen Cadets from the Royal Military College to be Second Lieutenants.

Dated 9th October. 1907 :

TERRITORIAL REGIMENTS.

The Northamptonshire Regiment, Christopher Galbraith Buckle.

LG 6-8-1909

The Northamptonshire Regiment, Second Lieutenant Christopher G. Buckle to be Lieutenant, vice J. A. Savage, seconded. Dated 30th June, 1909.

LG 9-2-1912

The Northamptonshire Regiment, Lieutenant Christopher G. Buckle is seconded for service under the Colonial Office. Dated 10th January, 1912.

LG 11-11-1914

The Northamptonshire Regiment, Lieutenant Christopher G. Buckle to be Captain. Dated 25th October, 1914.

History: c. May-June 1915. Joined 1st battalion from West Africa.

WD: Joined 7-6-1915

Last week of August 1915 - Wounded at Vermelles supervising work at sap-heads.

LG 14-1-1916

Awarded the Military Cross.

Captain Christopher Galbraith Buckle, Northamptonshire Regiment.

(For work at Vermelles.)

LG 18-4-1916

North'n. R.

Maj. S. S. Hayne to be temp. Lt.-Col., from 24th Nov. 1915, to 22nd Mar. 1916, inclusive.

Capt. L. A. Haldane, D.S.O. (since killed in action), relinquishes the rank of temp. Maj. 23rd Mar. 1916.

The undermentioned Capts. to be temp. Majors:

G. B. Vernon, Spec. Res., from 24th Nov. 1915, to 13th Feb. 1916, inclusive.

C. G. Buckle, from 14th Feb. to 13th Mar. 1916, inclusive.

LG 28-7-1916

W. Rid. R.

Capt. C. G. Buckle (North'n. R.) to be temp. Maj. whilst 2nd-in comd. of a Bn. 16 June 1916.

History: Took command of 2nd battalion after battle at Contalmaison on 7th July 1916.

LG 22-11-1916

North'n R.—Capt. (temp. Maj.) C. G. Buckle, M.C., to be acting Lt.-Col. whilst comdg. a Bn. 22nd Aug. 1916.

History: Wounded in head by a sniper on 12th March 1917 whilst walking the line. Remained at duty.

History: 20th April 1917 – presented with D.S.O.

History: In command at Ypres on 31st July 1917. Wounded.

NATGW: Wounded by 8-inch shell landing in Bn HQ

History: 19th September 1917 wounded on ankle by wayward signal rocket. Laid up for a week.

History: 23rd October 1917. Left 2nd battalion for appointment in England.

LG 11-5-1917

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointments of the undermentioned Officers to be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the Field:-

Capt. (actg. Lt.-Col.) Christopher Galbraith Buckle, M.C., North'n R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in command of his battalion. He visited the captured trenches during the action and gave orders regarding dispositions and consolidation. The dash of his battalion in the attack and their tenacity in holding the position won, were to a considerable extent due to his influence.

{Probably at Bouchavesnes on 4th March 1917}

LG 1-1-1918

To be Brevet Major.

Capt. (A./Lt.-Col) C. G. Buckle, D.S.O., M C., North'n R.

LG 24-5-1918

Memoranda.

Capt. (actg. Lt.-Col.) C. G. Buckle, D.S.O., M.C. (North'n R.), to comd. a Bn. and retains his actg. rank. 17 Nov. 1917 to 10 Apr. 1918.

LG 20-6-1918

North'n R.

Maj. S. S. Hayne to comd. a Bn. and to be. temp. Lt.-Col. 25 Jan. 1918. (Substituted for Gaz. notification 11 Mar. 1918.)

Bt. Maj. C. G. Buckle, D.S.O., M.C., to retain the actg. rank of Lt.-Col. While comdg. a Bn. 12 Apr. 1918. {6th Battalion}

Temp. Capt. and Adjt. N. H. Mattock to be temp. Maj. 9 Apr. 1918.

Temp. Lt. C. A. Debenham to be temp. Capt. 9 Apr. 1918.

LG 12-8-1918

North'n R.

Capt. and Bt. Maj. C. G. Buckle, D.S.O., M.C., retains the actg. rank of Lt.-Col. whilst comdg. a Bn. 3rd May 1918. {6th Bn. back to 2nd}

LG

North'n R. - Capt. and Bt. Maj. C. G. Buckle, D.S.O., M.C., relinquishes the actg. rank of Lt.-Col. on ceasing to comd. a Bn. 28th May 1918. {KIA with 2nd}

History: Killed in action near Juvincourt, Chemin des Dames. Battalion HQ surrounded

Father:

BUCKLE, Major-General; Christopher Reginald (b. 18 October 1862 - d. 1 December 1952)

CB 1918; CMG 1916; DSO 1902;

son of late C. Richard Buckle of Norton House, Chichester; married 1886, Elisabeth B. Turner (died 1949); four daughters (one son killed in action). Education: Sherborne School; Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. Work: Entered Royal Artillery, 1883; Capt. 1892; Major, 1901; Lt-Col 1911; Col 1916; Maj.-Gen. 1919; served at home and India; was Adjutant Midlothian Artillery (Vol.), and subsequently Adjutant RA, Isle of Wight; embarked for S. Africa, January 1900, for service as Adjutant of Brigade Div. of heavy guns; appointed to Staff, August 1900, and served continuously on Staff until after cessation of hostilities (despatches, DSO); European War, 1914-1918 (despatches, CB, CMG); AMS to Sir H. E. Wood, 1902-1905; Brigade Major (for RA), 1908-1911; Lt-Col commanding Harwich Defences, 1913; Brig.-Gen. commanding Harwich Fortress, August 1914; reverted to Lt-Colonel to command Howitzer Brigade, BEF, May 1915; Brig.-Gen. Commanding Corps Heavy Artillery, February 1916; GOC, RA, 17th Corps, July 1916; GOC RA, 2nd Army, July 1917; Major-General, RA, Army.

Steve.

From the Northampton Independent:

16-6-1917

CGBuckle_2ndCO_16-6-1917.jpg

22-6-1918

CGBuckle_Missing_22-6-1918.jpg

Since he wasn't a local man there isn't much mention before he became C.O.

Actually obituaries for missing officers and men can be a bit tricky to find as there was obviious reluctance to post an obituary when that might be admission that he was dead.

Steve.

Since he wasn't a local man there isn't much mention before he became C.O.

Actually obituaries for missing officers and men can be a bit tricky to find as there was obviious reluctance to post an obituary when that might be admission that he was dead.

Steve.

Steve - absolutely sterling work. Thank you so much for your time and efforts.

I'll be up home in a week or so and check if he's mentioned in the local papers there - the family were based in Warcop, Westmorland and the names of C. G. Buckle and his father appear on the war memorial there.

post-14313-1200645100.jpg

I've also ordered his son's autobiography to see if that reveals much more. I'll add what I find.

Proud man - named his house after his Regiment, it seems!

Cheers,

Marc

• 5 weeks later...

Steve,

Have you come across; 'A Kingly Grave in France' by Elizabeth Braithwaite Buckle. The mother of Col. Buckle, which is a memoir of her son. She visited the Chemin des Dames sector just after the war and found his grave next to the dug-out in which he was killed.

I have read about this book but have yet to track it down.

Regards

David

No, David. I haven't seen that one. It's one I didn't know about, actually.

Steve.

Hi!

Re: Lt Col Buckle. His original grave marker/cross is in the porch of Warcop parish church. I have tried to upload the pictures I have of it into this message, but the files are too large. So......... if you go to my blog http://cumbrianwarmemorials.blogspot.com/ maybe tomorrow I will put them up as a posting & hopefully you can download them from there. If not let me have your email address ( I am stublick@tiscali.co.uk) and I will send them as attachments.

I hope you and this forum are OK with me using the info from this post on the blog to give some background to his life.

Any idea why his grave marker should be in Warcop? I worked out that the family originated somewhere up here but wasn't his family daan saaf???

Do you have/want a pic of Warcop memorial?

Regards

Ian Lewis

I've no problems with anyone using the information I have posted here.

I'll have to put him on my list of officers to look up next time I'm at Kew.

Steve.

Any idea why his grave marker should be in Warcop? I worked out that the family originated somewhere up here but wasn't his family daan saaf???

Hi,

how the Buckle family ended up in Warcop is detailed in the autobiography of C. G. Buckle's son, Richard Buckle: 'The Most Upsetting Woman'. The book also details the last day of C. G. Buckle's life. I've photographed the relevant pages and put them on Flickr here.

Cheers,

Marc

I also have an intersting anecdote from Edward Short's autobiography, 'I Knew My Place', detailing the reading out the names of the fallen at inauguration day of the local war memorial.

"...Garry Buckle a popular, dashing man. His young and beautiful wife who lived at The Fox, a cottage over the beck from the war memorial and who was related to the Chamley's at Warcop House, was there with her son Dickie, and her husband's parents. Great and obvious was Mrs Garry's embarrassment when 'old' Mrs Buckle stepped forward and kissed her son's name. It was a moment of drama and anguish such as Warcop, an undemonstrative place, had rarely, if ever, known before."

Hello,

Thanks for all the information regarding Col. Buckle. Its a pity I didn't come across it before I wrote my thesis on the Aisne Battle! Still, extremely interesting nevertheless.

Regards

David

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Managed to track down the the slim volume 'A Kingly Grave in France' by Elizabeth Buckle. 32 pages long but it does contain a small photograph of Buckle's dugout on the Aisne and his grave with helmet in 1919.

• 5 months later...

Original cross from the grave of Colonel Buckle now in Warcop church.

559dde45aeb64456d88a2d336b318c3d_zps67baacaf.jpg

• 6 years later...

This is an old thread but I have some more information that may be of interest about Buckle's burial from the additional materials that CWGC have placed on-line in the past few years. But first, just to confirm that the Casualty Branch of the WO, MS C2, officially presumed him dead and that the WO Accounts Dept began settling his financial affairs in June 1919.

In March 1920 at Berry-au-Bac 29.9.85 x 221.5.7 (this is my transcription and probably wrong) a body was found, without a cross but with clothing, rank badges, medals and badges that suggested the he was an Unknown British Officer, a Lt-Col. It would not have taken much research to confirm that this was Buckle and at a later date his details were added to the March 1920 report.

There are also two Special Exhumation Reports available now, both dated 26 August 1920, but both are different in crucial respects. I attach them both. His mother probably visited the site between March and August.

It looks to me that when Buckle's mother visited the scene of her son's death she placed the grave marker on the wrong set of remains. I presume that it was she who also placed the "Not to be exhumed" board nearby, something which I have never seen before. Obviously, it was ignored, because the body was exhumed. But it looks as if they did find the right set of remains, which satisfied Mrs Buckle as being correct.

Rather a strange story. It is unfortunate that the CWGC still refuses access to its family correspondence files, as they would probably make everything clear.

Mike

Buckle Sp Exhum1.JPG

Buckle Exhum2.JPG

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but this is a relative of mine who I've been researching and think I have done ok so far but I need a bit of help.

In the story of his death it says he sent his Adjutant and RSM away then went to get his revolver to attack the Germans. I wanted to know if those men survived the war.

I think I've identified the Adjutant as Capt Blake MC and am pretty sure he survived, my trouble if finding the RSM.

It's a long shot but can anyone help me find out who the RSM of the 2nd Bn Northamptonshire Regt was in May 1918?

Thank you very much,

Michael