The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private George Logan

I am trying to locate my Great Grandfathers Service Number and further details on his war service.

Is there some way of finding out when and where he enlisted?

He joined the Lothians as a private and was made a Second Lieutenant with the Forth Royal Garrison Artillery.

How can this happen?

Have found out he was awarded the Order of the Crown of Italy, Chevelair in 1918 but cannot find out why. Is there somewhere that would tell me?

Thanks for any help.

Ron

Ron,

What you will have to do is try and obtain his service papers. You will have to obtain a researcher to attend the National Archives/Public Record Office or go there yourself. If you look at The Long Long Trail Website at the below link and go to the 'Grandad's War' section it will tell you how to obtain what you are after and what information you can expect to find. His service papers should have some reference to his previous service.

http://www.1914-1918.net/

The London Gazette is online at the PRO and you can print out the entries I referred to using the following link. I merely typed George Logan in the search field and looked through the results to find you man. Generally I don't think they listed citations for foreign awards in the London Gazette but if you are able to locate his service papers a citation may be included. Often, in my experience, foreign awards were for meritorious service.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp?WebType=0

Chris Baker who is the webmaster of this forum and The Long Long Trail Website is a researcher. Go to the bottom of the page and go to the Great War Family Research Link and you should be able to find out what a researcher can do for you.

Regimental histories are another possibility. A few of the members of this forum may be able to help in respect to the RGA and the movements of your man. It does appear that he may have served in Italy given the foreign award and not many RGA units would have served there which may help to narrow the field considerably and ascertain exactly which Brigade or sub-unit he was attached to.

Regards

Tim Dawe

PS. As an officer he would not have possessed a service number. I would suggest a search by name for his service papers and medal index card etc. at the PRO. He may have been a pre-war territorial with the Lothian & Border Horse or may also have joined them on the outbreak of war and then applied for a commission in late 1914. I would guess he was serving prior to the outbreak of war. It is highly unlikely he saw war service with the Lothian & Border Horse as no units of this regiment saw war service until well after he was commissioned into the RGA. Therefore it is unlikely that his Medal Index Card or other papers will mention a service number.