The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Greatest Day In History

shred

• 1 month later...

I've received this book today - it is a day by day (in some cases hour by hour) chronicle of the last week of the war - looks interesting on a very quick glance - I'll post again when I've had a more in-depth look

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I am not placing my normal link to buy the book here. Save your money. Put it on a horse. Anything.

PMSL ^_^

Having worked on this very subject with the BBC over the past 4 months, we were a little concerned when this book came out. Like Chris, however, those concerns soon turned to laughter, and at times - horror. It's amazing such books can be written, let alone published.

As the first of many books to commemorate the 90th anniversary of Armistice Day 1918, this volume sets an example that will be hard to equal.

Arranged as a diary of the seven days leading up to November 11, it covers the events and the thoughts and feelings of all kinds of people throughout Western Europe, the United States and beyond, mostly in their own words, skilfully organised into a narrative.

For original Daily Mail article see here.

Thanks for the Daily Mail link.

I suppose the caption to the photo, dating the Armistice to 11th November 1917 sort of sums it up.

Another good reason not to have the blasted rag over my threshold.

• 10 years later...

OK, I'm beginning to see this book may have problems.

Can't access Chris' review, pity.

But my question is - can anybody shine any light on his p203-204 story about an ambush/atrocity of 100 British soldiers on 11th November?

be very interested if it can be stood up