The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mr Punch's History of the Great War

burlington

Both editions are selling for not too dissimilar prices in the UK.

Which one would you buy? The hard cover, embossed 1920 version, or the soft cover 2007 reprint? And why?

On Amazon affiliates, the former is circa £10 upwards, and the latter some £8 upwards. Nearly the same on Abe Books.

Martin

Hi Martin, I downloaded an e-book copy of the original recently, not qute the same as having a hard copy in front of ya... but given the choice I'd go for the original green and gold embossed version over a softback,

cheers, Jon

I already have the original and wouldn't part with it. The content of any book is important but so is the feel and smell of it. I have 18th century books which I inhale as well as read.

The original every time (as long as the price difference is not too silly). It feels better to read and there is an immediate connection with the past (if that is not a contradiction in terms). I have got a lot of pleasure from my copy.

Ian

I mentioned this in response to a thread a while back, I got the feeling the poster at the time hadn't considered the originals. heres a few as comparison not as an advertisement.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchRe...p;x=88&y=16

Mick

I have actually purchased a Nonsuch 2007 reprint. Basically because the originals are too 'valuable' to be subject to the hurly burly life of a book being read thoroughly. I might still buy an original later, perhaps if for no other reason than to 'inhale' as IanA does.

In fact this is not so strange as it might appear. I grew up in an environment when I had easy access to books and similar from between the Wars. The smell, the feel, the typeset etc etc of these books and the images they conveyed to my, then, young mind has stayed with me always.

Martin

Martin, its not strange at all. The smell of books, webbing, old weapons and even uniforms is extremely evocative...every time I walk into the room where I keep my books and collections I am met with a smell i wish i could bottle.

Mick

Look out for the original bound copies from the war years, they do not seem that rare. I also agree with Ian, a book should be inhaled, and felt as well as read. like Ian I have books going back a couple of hundred years, and guess what instant access to the data there in, unlike the five and a quarter inch floppy discs I have kicking about somewhere.

Gareth