The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hard as Nails !st/2nd Sportsmen Battalions

andrew pugh

Good evening All.

I have just brought a book called Hard as Nails, byMichael Foley.The book is about the 23rd and 24th Bn Royal Fusiliers(Sportsmen) 1914/1918 and makes very good reading for anyone who has an intrest in these battalions.

Regards Andy

Andy - any details...price, publisher, etc, please?

Hi Steve.

The book is priced at £18.99 from bookshops, but about £13.95 from Amazon Books.The Publisher is

Spellmount,and written by Michael Foley.The book covers its formation by Cunliffe-Owen in London

and the camp life/sites (Clipstone Camp. ect),and also tells of some of the characters who joined the battalions.It talks of both battalions in France and Belgium Flanders.The book is hard back with lots of good photos.Very good book.Go on treat youself,you deserve it.

Regards Andy

P/S If you intrested in the 24th bn I have a copy of the Diary 1914/1919 (typed copy)so if you need any info let me know.

Hi Andy,

The detils on Amazon only seem to mention the 23rd Battalion. Is it definitely the 24th as well, as I had a relative serve with them and will buy this book immediately if so.

Many thanks,

Mark

Very good book.Go on treat youself,you deserve it.

Regards Andy

Thanks. I've forwarded this to Mrs B.

Evening Mark.

The book mentions both the 23rd battalion, and the 24th Battalion in the book.Dont forget I have a copy of the 24th Bn Diary if you need any info.

Regards Andy.

Hello again Mark.

In the book in the 1918 section, it mentions a soldier by the name of Private W.A. Hoyle 24th Bn

who was wounded on the 27th march 1918 .He wrote a hand written acount of the retreat and gave it to a nurse in a V.A.D. hospital in England(Cranbrook) ,she gave it to her husband, who in turn gave it to the Imperial War Museum.The papers are filed in the name of H.Russell at the I.W.Museum.I have just sent off for a copy.Regards Andy.

Which battalion was known as 'The Footballers Battalion' ?

Terry

17th Middlesex were 1st Football. Forum member Andrew Riddoch (AGWR) knows a lot about them. The 23rd Mx were 2nd Football.

Thanks Andy - I think i'll order the book based on your recommendation. My interest goes up to Nov 1916 when my relative was killed (see my signature) so the diary you refer to may be too late for that. And thanks for the offer of diary look-ups, which I will remember for the future. I have a copy of the Divisional History if that is any use for look-ups for you in return.

Much appreciated, Mark

17th Middlesex were 1st Football. Forum member Andrew Riddoch (AGWR) knows a lot about them. The 23rd Mx were 2nd Football.

Hello Steven,

Unfortunately, not as much as I would like to know about them!

The 17th Middlesex were alway known unofficially as the Footballers' Battalion and the 23rd as the 2nd Footballers' Battalion.

The football team of the 23rd RF was also pretty good. In 1915, it featured several notable sportsmen, including the cricketers: Patsy Hendren (Middlesex), Andrew Sandham (Surrey) and William Bates (Yorkshire). Its attack was led by Ernest Owers, who had featured in the Bristol City side that had been defeated by Manchester Utd in the 1909 Cup Final.

Regards,

AGWR

• 2 years later...

Dear Andy, or others who own a copy of the "Hard as Nails: The Sportsman's Battalion of WWI" book:

I have been trying to locate this book through my public library system here in California, USA, but (perhaps not too surprisingly) there are no copies anywhere that I can find in our extensive library system. To purchase the book here in the US will cost over $40, which I am loath to spend without even knowing whether my relative is mentioned in the book. If anybody has a copy of this book available, could I trouble you to look up the name of Norman A.L. Cockell (Norman Alexander Lindsey Cockell), who served with the 24th Battalion (Royal Fusiliers)? If the book has any information about him I would be grateful to have the information.

Also, Andy, you mentioned you had a Diary of the 24th Battalion - if Norman A.L. Cockell is mentioned in there, could you possibly let me know what information it has?

I can be reached at dctudor (at) yahoo (dot) com .

Thank you so much,

Debra

Hi Steve.

The book is priced at £18.99 from bookshops, but about £13.95 from Amazon Books.The Publisher is

Spellmount,and written by Michael Foley.The book covers its formation by Cunliffe-Owen in London

and the camp life/sites (Clipstone Camp. ect),and also tells of some of the characters who joined the battalions.It talks of both battalions in France and Belgium Flanders.The book is hard back with lots of good photos.Very good book.Go on treat youself,you deserve it.

Regards Andy

P/S If you intrested in the 24th bn I have a copy of the Diary 1914/1919 (typed copy)so if you need any info let me know.

Is that why Walter Tull, of the 17th, was commissioned into the 23rd?

Bruce

Hi Deb.

What date are you looking for, was he killed ect and what Bn 23rd or the 24th.? and what was his name and number.

Regards Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I am reading this book at the moment and must admit to being very disapointed in it. There is very little detail and the book is based far too much on one man and his drawings which don't have much to say about the war. Sad to say there are also some pretty glaring errors. I wish I had saved my money.