The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme

cindyathome

can anyone REALLY recommend a good book on the battle in france at the Somme? Or maybe something on egypt?? As the war records office appear not to have my ancestors record, hoping to get a sense of what he went through and what he dealt with daily as an ambulance officer.

Anyone recommend something? Seen so many in tge bookstores here in Australia but dont know which one to choose.

Cindy,

It depends on which aspect you are interested in. As a starter to gain an overview of the battle and which is a good academic study of the battle is The Somme by Prior and Wilson. IMO it is well argued, balanced and easy to read. There is book review on it on this forum here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...21&hl=Somme

Regards

Chris

can anyone REALLY recommend a good book on the battle in france at the Somme? Or maybe something on egypt?? As the war records office appear not to have my ancestors record, hoping to get a sense of what he went through and what he dealt with daily as an ambulance officer.

Anyone recommend something? Seen so many in tge bookstores here in Australia but dont know which one to choose.

Can you help me....you say ambulance officer.....did he work in a Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps or Australian Army Medical Corps? If so he would have worked in the casualtly evacuation chain with the FA's being the closest 'organised' medical unit to the front line.

Middlebrook in his book gives an idea of the chaos that occurred in the casualty evacuation chain at Casualty Clearing Station level and may give you an overview.....in an article in Stand To! number 64 there is an overview of the entire CEC and casualties at the Somme in 1916 and problems that occurred on 1st July in the FA's...but to find a book that concentrates entirely on the CEC during the Somme in 1916 has yet I fear to be written but I may be wrong......I'm looking forward to being proved wrong as I'd like to read it!

Hello Cindy,

As stated above i dont know of any one book that entirely covers the subject you require.I have read The Somme by Peter Hart and thought it a very good read covering the entire battle.Martin Middlebrooks The first day on the Somme may give you an idea of the impossible task all medical personnel would have faced during this the worst single day in British military history when 57,000 men were casualties of which 19,000 died.

Anthony.

Hello Cindy

I agree with Anthony. I am currently reading Peter Hart's book which I think is the best I have read since Martin Middlebrook's which is in my opinion a ' Classic '

Regards, Roger.

Hi Cindy,

As a serious beginner in this fascinating subject I can recommend both Martin Middlebrook's and Peter Hart's books. They read very well and whilst they cover a huge amount of detail they're not overwhelming in terms of facts & figures.

Hope this helps.

Can I also add my support for the above books mentioned, also I would recommend "The Imperial War Museum" Book on the Somme, which you can usually get in a box set with variuos other titles from one of those discount book stores that are in most towns

Nick

those discount book stores that are in most towns

Though perhaps not most towns in Queensland, where Cindy lives.

Another book that's worth reading for an overview of the Battle is Martin Gilbert's Somme, ISBN 978 7195 6890 9.

Gareth

Hi Cindy. As other posters have said, it depends on what kind of view you are seeking. There is a classic book of the war generally, " The War the Infantry Knew", this was actually written by Captain Dunn the medical officer so gives one view. There is another book, " The Road to St. Julien" by W. St. Clair, who was a stretcher bearer and consists of his letters to his wife. Both of these authors served at the Somme as well as elsewhere.