The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Blood on the Streets

wig

Paul O'Brien's new book on the Easter Rising focusing in particular upon the bloody battle at the Mount Street Bridge in Dublin where the Sherwood Foresters suffered nearly 300 casulties at the hands of less than 20 Irish rebels. Most of the Foresters had yet to complete their basic training when they were dispatched to Ireland, many thought they had landed in France. This is an untold story, or a forgotten story, celebrated by the Irish but swept under the sandbags by the British. An important contribution.

As someone who has gone by that spot many times over the years it's amazing the British Army launched such a crazy attack across an open and narrow canal bridge against opponents well barricaded and clearly capable of accurate firiing.

IIRC two battalions of the Sherwood Foresters under Brigadier General Maconchy involved took some 200 casulaties incl about 60 KIA.

The Link below has a short clip recording the account given by Irish Volunteer Tom Walsh, who was in Clanwilliam House defending Mount Street Bridge:

http://www.rte.ie/laweb/ll/ll_t06_schedule_d.html

I've just finished reading this book and have mixed views on it. Its a fine piece of research on the minute by minute developments at Mount Street Bridge but I think its let down by the authors enthusiasm for his subject. He describes the action as 'an epic battle' - hello?? Not if you put it in context with the losses of the 16th(Irish) Division that very same week at Hulluch. Also he refers to Michael Malones brother as having died in France. He did not. He died as a result of the Gas Attack at Mouse Trap Farm in the Ieper Salient in April 1915.

And on the last page he referrs to an inscription on the Menin Gate which is not there. The piece he quotes is Binyons verse that is recited at most remembrance services.

Other than that it was an interesting read and an utter condemnation of the stupidity of those commanding the Sherwood Foresters whose insistence on pressing a frontal assault againts a well defended fortification cost the lives of so many untrained young men.

'Hello' Many thanks for reading my book and thanks for the feedback.

I consider the battle epic in the context of Dublin 1916. i am sure that engagements elsewhere during the great war over shadow this particular engagement.

Malones brother is listed as being killed France & Flanders in soldiers died in the great war 1914 - 1918. as you can guess when writing a book one is edited down.

As for the inscription that is possibly an overlook on my behalf but thanks for bringing it to my attention. The book is working as those who now pass Mount Street will remember those on both sides, Irish & British that lost their lives.

As for the enthusiasm i see you are as passionate about your subject as i am of mine. all the best

once again many thanks

Belated welcome to the forum Paul. I look forward to reading your book.