The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

death plaque

Guest andrew david

Guest andrew david

I HAVE FOUND A PLAQUE IN MY CELLAR WITH THE NAME JOSEPH LLOYD ON IT PLEASE CAN ANYBODYHELP ME IN FINDING OUT WHO HE WAS I LIVE IN S WALES

Guest andrew david

I HAVE FOUND A SO CALLED DEATH PLAQUE IN MY CELLAR WITH THE NAME JOSEPH LLOYD INSCRIBED ON IT FROM THE SOUTH WALES AREA CAN ANYBODY HELP ME IN IDENTIFYING HIM

Does it just give his name on the plaque?

You could try looking on electoral registers at your local library or asking the people who lived in the house before you.

Andrew

Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Rgt)

8th Btn Cpl 1115

Enlisted Neath Glam (No Born or Residence recorded)

Killed In Action 3.7.16 France and Flanders

He is the only Joseph Lloyd with a Welsh link.

Regards Doug

Guest Pete Wood

Andrew

The plaques were issued to the next of kin of soldiers, airmen, sailors, medical voluntary groups and civilians.

Without the scroll that accompanied it, and because the name on the plaque is so common, you can't be certain who the plaque was made for.

However, if the plaque WAS made for a local lad, AND he was in the army, then it MAY have been for:

Name: LLOYD, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales Volunteers)

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1916

Service No: 15983

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 7 A and 7 B

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

He enlisted in Neath and was Killed in Action. No other Joseph LLoyd in the army has any Welsh connection (according to Soldiers Died Great War).

You could try trawling through all the J LLoyd names on the CWGC website to see if there is anyone with Welsh connections..... But like I have said, unless the name is unique, you will never be able to prove anything.

There wasn't another name on the plaque was there....?

Hullo Andrew

Welcome to this site. There has been a flurry of interest lately in these death plaques. Look through recent postings and you should find a lot of information.

Since the soldier died in the war, he should be listed in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site.CWGC

Of course you may find several with the same name, then you will have to find some connection with your house and/or area to find the right man

If you follow the postings for the person mentioned in Remembering Today, you will find various methods of tracing a person.

Christine

I've merged the two topics into one thread.

Tip for members: there is no need to launch separate threads on the same subject, in different areas of the forum. Your thread is much more likely to get visibility if more people visit and add to it in one place. It can also confuse. For this reason, posting multiple threads is against the forum rules, which you can see by clicking on the link top-left of this forum.

Hi Andrew,

I'm a collector of medals and ww1 militaria to men from Neath (my home town). Joseph Lloyd s on the memorial in Gnoll park. There are an unusually high number of men from the S Lancs on the Neath memorial - I have the medals to a couple of others. I 've always wanted to research the reason for this. Let me know if I can help.

Jonathan