The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

24th Bn Royal Fusiliers German Offensive 1918

andrew pugh

Good evening All.

Ive just received a copy of the hand written account by a Private W.A.Hoyle of the British Retreat

during the German Offensive 1918. He was with the 24th Batallion Royal Fusiliers,there are 29 pages

for the month of March and it tells what it was really like to be on the run.It makes very good reading.

The papers are in the Imperial War Museum and the documents are listed under the name of H.Russell(76/119/1).Private Hoyle was wounded on the 27th march and sent back to the U.K.He gave the hand written account to a nurse who gave them to her husband at some time, he then donated them to the Imperial War Museum.If anybody is intrested in the 24th Bn its worth a read.

Regards Andy.

• 1 year later...

Andy,

I have just come across your post, my Gt grandfather was in the 24th Bn, KIA 3.10.18, how would I go about getting a copy of this document?

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike.

Your Gt Grandfather on the day ha was killed was at a place called Noyelles,Quote from the diary states, New posts established un advance of line gained on high ground.5th Brigade relieved in line by 6th Infantry Brigade.24th Bn Roy/Fusiliers releived by the 1st Kings Regt.On relief Battn moved back to billets at Noyelles. 5th Brigade un Divisional reserve.Hope this info helps, On the 1st they were in a big action near Rumilly near the Cambrai railway. I have also sent you a P/M.

Best Regards Andy

Andy,

I have just come across your post, my Gt grandfather was in the 24th Bn, KIA 3.10.18, how would I go about getting a copy of this document?

Many thanks,

Mike