The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The War in Africa

reformbill

I have been told that my father-in -law, Charles Sawbridge, who was in the army,spent most of the war in Dar es Salaam. Could any one help me to find sources of information about English troops in East Africa?

Two volumes that spring to mind are Francis Brett Young "Marching on Tanga" and the Official History "Military Operations East Africa" Volume 1 Aug. 1914 - Sept 1916. There is no volume two. It is available as an IWM/Battery Press reprint and is authored by Lt. Col Charles Hordern.

The official history includes a bibliography, but you might find it helpful to contact the department of printed books at the Imperial War Museum (see their web site). They should be able to provide you with a more comprehensive bibliography/reading list.

Martin

look up his name on the forum his name is steve eeles, i cant give you his email as i dont know if i would be doing the right thing but you can send him a message through the forum

I, too, would like to hear from experts in the East African war as one of my Thetford Grammar School Old Boys was there:

SURNAME: Wilson

C/NAMES: Ronald Selby Champion

DOB: 1/81

UNIT: 2nd Bn., Rhodesia Regt.

DATE OF DEATH: 13/3/17

AGE AT DEATH: 36

CAUSE OF DEATH: Sickness

NUMBER: 1348

MEMORIAL: Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery, Tanzania

PARENTS: son of William Campbell Wilson and Katy Selby Wilson, of 54, St. Nicholas St., Thetford, Norfolk. Born at Hollingbourne, Kent, England. His two brothers also fell. (What CWGC should say is that two of his brothers fell - there were seven altogether!)

TGS: 1892 - 1896

Best wishes,

David

i think it could be steve E ...........or i have been emailed by a ghost.......i cant give you his email or chris baker will court marshall me and then shot at dawn

Please can we have a group "nag" at the management, and try and get some info on Africa onto the forum? There is very little on the internet, and it seems to be ignored by everybody.

Or, could there be a site where we could all put our bit of info when we find out anything? (Apart from this thread.)

:huh:

You can't expect management to provide everything on this site and some members have aready responded with sources. To add my bit, try "Armies in East Africa 1914-18", by Peter Abbott, part of the Men-At-Arms series by Osprey Publishing. This gives a good outline of the campaign and includes maps, photos, uniform illustrations, orders of battle and a bibliography.

Terry Reeves

Widwick, It is indeed SteveE! For I am he.

As for being an expert on the East African forces :o ....I don't think so!

All my research so far has been in relation to the 25th Bn Royal Fusiliers (Frontiersmen) and that only since I recently (the last year or so) discovered my Great Grandfather served with them in East Africa. I never talked to my Grandfather about his father, I wish I had because for years the family have assumed (obviously incorrectly) that he had served on the western front.

I do have a copy of the battalion war diary so if I can be of any help let me know!

Regards

Steve (Eeles)

Please don't nag at 'management' or anyone on the forum. I have recently posed a few queries and the responses have been of great help. Thanks to all who have given me leads on this topic.

Sorry! Didn't mean to upset anyone. I'd just be really happy if there was as much about Africa on the forum as there is for the other theatres. I know everybody is always very obliging, but it would be nice for newbies like me to be able to look at some info at the start. I think that maybe sometimes it's difficult for the people who know a lot about a subject to realise just how little other people actually know. I've always been very grateful for the help people have given me, and try to repay it in kind, even if it is not through this forum.

:unsure: