The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sussex Militia records

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I'm trying to find out where i can find the records for the Sussex militia for 1914. I'm trying to find out why my great grandfather left after the start of the war. His father was a soldier in the same regiment but had left by 1891 and in the 1901 census it shows my great grandfather George Arthur Lelliott based at Aldershot. By the start of the war he would of been about 46. After leaving the Army he went to Canada and joined the CEF but when he got to England they found out his age and kicked him out.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me on this.

Regards

Mike

There are militia attestation forms for the Royal Sussex in WO96 at the PRO/NA for the period up to and including 1914. This is the only source of information for these men; there is nothing in the regiment's archives in Chichester.

Paul

Would the papers be purely for Militia regiments as I thought these had been disbanded in 1908 and re-formed as Special Reserve.

Andy

You are quite right, but they are grouped under 'militia' in this series of documents at Kew. The militia ceased to exist in 1908; the papers of Royal Sussex men in this series from 1908 onwards are those who served in the 3rd Bn - so it seems from my experience.