The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The battlefields of the first world war

1st east yorks

Hello,

I have The Somme and Passchendaele books written by Peter Barton in conjunction with the Imperial war museum and want to purchase the battlefields of the first world war by him.Does this book cover all battlefields or just the major ones and are there plenty of maps to accompany the text.The two books that i have by Peter Barton are excellent and i just wondered if this was as good.

Thanks Anthony.

Guest geofflambert
Hello,

I have The Somme and Passchendaele books written by Peter Barton in conjunction with the Imperial war museum and want to purchase the battlefields of the first world war by him.Does this book cover all battlefields or just the major ones and are there plenty of maps to accompany the text.The two books that i have by Peter Barton are excellent and i just wondered if this was as good.

Thanks Anthony.

I have all of Peter Barton's books and cannot praise them too highly. Easily as good as other two and for those interested in all the Battlefields an absolute must. Quality photography and research backing it up make this a robust academic work for alll serious students of the conflict.

Covers all battefields and accompanied by excellent maps. Truly magnificent publication. Not cheap and not sure how available now but recommend you seek it out.

Best Wishes

Geoff Lambert

Hello Geoff,

Thanks for your reply.It sounds like a must have book.I have seen it for £33 from Amazon so i think i will be investing in one.

Thanks Anthony.

Anthony,

I can't recommend Peter Barton's books enough, £33 isn't much more than the original price (I think !) so I would order it ASAP.

Mick D

Thanks Mick,

Will order asap.Anthony

• 3 months later...

Hi , can anyone please tell me when the next addition to the series is out and which battlefields it will cover , many thanks .

A revised version of Battlefields of the First World War will be coming out later this year with over 100 new panoramas added (many German ones and now all on one DVD as opposed to 2 CD Roms).

Following Somme and Passchendaele there will be a volume on the battle of Arras which will come out at some point in 2009. Am afraid I can’t be more specific at present.

Cheers

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy .