The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Sussex Regiment Military Honours and Awards Vol 1: 1864-1920

hswaine

Royal Sussex Regiment Military Honours and Awards Vol 1: 1864-1920

Author: R.Buckman.

Can anyone comment on the strengths or otherwise of this book cited in the Royal Sussex Regiment web page bibliography?

I am particularly interested in WW1 coverage. Are copies available anywhere?

Thanks

Harry

I bought a copy when this first came out, but I am pretty sure it is out of print now. It is quite useful if you are seriously interested in the Regiment's history, and has some nice additional info such as reference to newspaper reports, photos etc.

There are very few copies around - there is a copy at the West Sussex Record Office, and also at Worthing local studies library. I was very fortunate to get a copy a year or two ago direct from the author, who still had a supply at his home and was happy to send me one. Perhaps the publishers will put you in touch if they're still in business:

J & KH Publishing, PO Box 13, Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 3XQ

I've found it invaluable, and also indexed for easy reference.

Sue

Paul / Sue - many thanks for the prompt replies. I am mainly researching the war history relating to my maternal grandfather who served in the 9th Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment 11/14 to 08/18 prior to a temporary commission as 2nd Lt in the Cheshire Regiment He became a sergeant in the RSR - Charles Hull Jarvis MM (# 5928). I have his MIC, Gazette and his discharge and commission papers. I posted a topic recently regarding a photograph which apparently showed him in OTB cadet uniform but with an inexplicable Liverpool Pals cap badge. I was hoping to find any more details about his general service - likely action for MM award and anything to throw light on the OTB mystery.

It looks as though a trip to the West Sussex Record Office would be worthwhile before deciding to attempt to buy.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Harry

Harry

Unfortunately the reference in the book is to a report in the Sussex Daily News, and there is no accompanying citation. I don't know how this report fits in with the date of the Gazette, and whether between the two it can be narrowed down at all. Perhaps a browse of the war diary might be a help, particularly as there are other 9th Battalion men named in the same report, so assuming (!) they were all around the same time it gives more names to aim for. The date below is the date of the SDN report:

Friday 17th November 1916

More Sussex Military Medal Recipients

In the latest list of those to whom the King has awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field appear the names of the following, who belong to the Royal Sussex Regiment

No. 3628 Private Q. W. A. Dick .... 9th Battalion

No. 710 Sergeant C. Hunt .... 9th Battalion

No. 5928 Sergeant C. H. Jarvis .... 9th Battalion

No. 546 Corporal L. Whitcher .... 9th Battalion

Sue

Forgot to mention - the whole of the 9th Battalion is available online from The National Archives via Documents Online at £3.50 per month - you may know that already though.

Sue

Sue - many thanks for this. I have downloaded many of the war diaries but these rarely mention ORs and this is the case for my grandfather. I presume the awards to the 9th Battalion were for later phases of the Somme eg Delville Wood or Gommecourt.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Harry

Sorry - I was in a rush yesterday and should have written that I imagined that the 9th Battalion MM awards were obtained during the 3rd and 4th phases of the Somme - Delville Wood or GUILLEMONT - not Gommecourt!

Harry

• 9 years later...

Have since updated this book and the second one 1921-1966. It is now called :- 35th Regiment of Foot The Royal Sussex Regiment 1701-1966. I have more Citations for WW1.  Virtually all of WW11. This is all on a CD, the cost of publishing is beyond me now. Richard Buckman