The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MM Citations

David_Bluestein

There has been much discussion recently on the forum regarding Citations for the Military Medal. I thought I would share an example of a Canadian and a British Citation for readers.

The Canadian citation was made available by the Canadian National Archives: ‘Honors and Awards’ Dept. The citation is not a guarantee, but certainly it seems that many have been recorded.

Below is the Medal Award Index Card for Sjt. MM 3rd (Toronto) Battalion CEF who won his award at Hill 70 on the night of August 14/15 1917 on a night patrol. He was killed four days later on the 18th of August 1917 by shellfire. The index card includes citation, LG and even a notation that Garlick was killed.

post-1-1075587615.jpg

David,

A wonderful MM group to the RMs. Green with envy :D I'd be interested to know a few more details about the individual concerned.

Rgds,

Alex.

My pleasure Alex, just name it....

David

Hi There,

New to the Forum and this article held great interest for me as i am trying to research a M.M. group to Private G.C.Harris of 19th Battalion C.E.F. number 124364.

M.M. slip says Military Medal award, 28-9-18, Corps Order 1918, London Gazette 11-2-19 L.G. 31173.

I have the group and several pages of research but am having difficulty finding out what the M.M. was awarded for. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Andrew,

A 'Corps Order' means there will be no citation, and the award was filed by a superior, for good work done etc. The actual details of the actions related to this award were not recorded. This is sadly an example of a CEF MM with no citation.

However all is not lost! Check 'War Diaries' and local newspapers for a possible hit...you never know what might turn up.

Good luck

David

David,

Many thanks for that information, the C.E.F. Battalion war dairies are now on line so it looks like a lot of reading for me. Many thanks again.

Andrew

David,

A wonderful MM group to the RMs. Green with envy  :D I'd be interested to know a few more details about the individual concerned.

Rgds,

Alex.

My pleasure Alex, just name it....

David

David,

Do you have his service papers from the PRO or any details held at the FAA museum? I'd be interested to know with which unit he served with at Gallipoli and the source of his citation. Was he wounded prior to this? Any other biographical details would be great.

Do you have many other groups to the RMs, or is this one an odd one out amongst your CEF items? Lieut. Platt who you provided the details on so recently is an odd Canadian amongst my mainly RM collection.

Best regards,

Alex.