The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Colour Sgt or Sjt/ Major ?

BREWSTER

Anyone have any ideas as to what regiment, rank and period of dress this chap is from, all I know is his name, George Drew my great,great,uncle.he is not listed at CWGC so I don't know where or when he died....

post-1-1075589460.gif

I would say he is a Colour Sergeant and that looks like a bugle on the neck so it would be some form of light infantry. Pure guess but there are many better out there that will give it to ya exact. Also anywhere between 1890-1914, now that is definately a guess.

We will see how wrong i am, or maybe just maybe i have learnt something in the last few months.

Arm.

Brewster,

If you have a photo programme i would suggest cropping the pic and re posting it so as to make it easier to see etc.

regards Arm.

Company Sergeant Major and a pre-1901 photo. (Crown is of the Victorian pattern).

Dave.

Company Sergeant Major and a pre-1901 photo. (Crown is of the Victorian pattern).

Dave.

Sorry to disagree, no CSM in 1901 or earlier in infantry. New CSM post created 1914, wore CSgt current badge of three chevrons and crown until 1915, crown only thereafter [crossed flags discontinued by then except for recruiting sergeants and a few other uses].

He is a Colour Sergeant, LI, possibly Volunteers but I cannot see shoulder strap very well, probably pre 1901 BUT change of crown shape not at all instantaneous so you cannot trust that .... tunics were allowed to wear out. Marksman qualified.