The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bradbury

Raster Scanning

I am currently researching the 7th Beds men Killed and wounded during the capture of Thiepval 27/28 September 1916.

Checking through the casualty list of those wounded, I see the name Pte 15683 E Bradbury (see below, second from last). As the 'B' names are available on line I checked his entry on the Medal Roll Index only to find him listed twice, same number different initials.

Thinking this was a mistake I paid my 6 quid and sure enough there are 2 different cards with the same number and different initials.

Now I am confused, is 15683 Pt Bradbury, William, D, or E? The casualty list is often wrong so William or 'D' seem the best bets.

I see on the D card he is listed as D of W, he is not listed in SDGW for the 7th Beds, so I suspect he returned to a different unit after recovering from his wounds sustained at Thiepval. He then was wounded and died with this new unit.

Would some kind person check soldiers died for a Bradbury who was formerly 15683 Bedfordshire Rgt please.

Has anyone got any ideas why he had 2 seperate cards and presumably 2 sets of medals?

Thanks.

John.

post-1-1075612358.jpg

Here is one of the MRI cards.

post-1-1075612524.jpg

John,

There's a William Bradbury:

4th Bedfords

Born-Lidlington

Enlisted-Bedford

Residence-Chiswick, Middlesex

DoW 22 Feb 1918

CWGC shows him as William Edward Bradbury, aged 22.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

That will be my man.

I am trying to post the other card but having problems with my service provider :(

Looking at the casualty list for Thiepval closely it does say W E not just E.

So who was D Bradbury and why is he listed as D of W when it appears it was William?

Thanks.

John.

Hopefully here is the other one!

post-1-1075613731.jpg

Could it be one card for the 14-15 Star and the other for the GW&V Medals, the D just being a mistake?

John.

That is exactly what it appears to be. Note the first card only shows a roll reference for the 1914-1915 Star and the second card has roll references for only the BWM and Victory. Some clerk must of had a terrific party the night before he made the "D" initial entry on the one card.

Regards. Dick Flory