The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldiers lost records

alfie

The records for my Grandfather Spr S Walters RE are missing. Were the records when destoyed filed alphabeticaly, numerically or by unit. I was wondering if I traced a soldier of his unit with a number close to his own I could find out more of his history, enlistment date etc.

Any ideas folks?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Yes - you could find get an idea of his enlistment date, particularly if you found someone who was awarded a silver war badge in the roll near his name.

Ian

The records for my Grandfather Spr S Walters RE are missing. Were the records when destoyed filed alphabeticaly, numerically or by unit.

Alfie - they would appear to have been filed alphabetically, no other criteria having been used. For an updated view of how bulk searches are panning-out, statistically, see > WO363 / 364 stats

As Ian says, you are probably better starting with the service medal & SWB records. What was your grandfather's service number ?

regards - Tom

My grandfather, Septimus Walters, was a sapper in the RE (Tyne Electrical Engineers). This can only be established from the unit number on his medal index card 465688. From the published history of the unit I can establish what sections of the TEE left for France in 1916 ( He did not qualify for a Star) I also believe I have the names of two other soldiers from his unit. This comes from a letter which also places him in Watou in Flanders. One section of his unit was in Poperinge, in Belgium. And left for the theatre in 1916.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

:lol: what can I say.............

Now I don't want anyone thinking I am some sort of PRO 'Nerd' but.........................

465289 Pte Herbert SAMUELSON RE served with the Tyne Electrical Engineers, his service record exists and is to be found in WO 363 on reel S 1012.

This may help you.

Ian