The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Purnells History of The First World War

salientpoints

It does seem a very strong price, Ryan, but it is an excellent resource. My university library has a copy and I often flick through it for the photographs, diagrams of kit and weaponry, articles on tactics, the politics behind the war, and so on. A very youthful Richard Holmes contributed to several issues. Not sure I'd stump up £400 though.

Gary

I hope it is a genuine value!

I'm sitting here looking at a complete set which I bought at the time of publication and which I had professionally casebound in a blue linen binding with gold leaf titles.

A wise investment on my part all those years ago.

Nonsense really - because they are not for sale!

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to bid when it was still 60 quid! I then forgot about the sellers other listing on Purnells WW2 and missed it - WW2 went for £21 !!! damn!

Ryan

People do seem to pay £2.99 £3.99 and £4.99 for individual copies (there are 128) and there are a number of such copies on ebay at present.

It is a good resource and I value my copy.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Since this post I have picked up one set of Purnells WW2 for £20 there are 6 volumes pages 1 through 2688

I have today taken receipt of a set of both Purnells WW1 and WW2 for £40 :)

The other WW2 set is 8 volumes though, pages 1 through 3586

Has anyone else got differing sets? I am aware there were different issue dates I think in the 60's and 70's

As for my WW1 set it is 8 volumes, pages 1 to 3560 but no huge index in the last volume like in the WW2 issues.

Can anyone tell me if these all seem complete?

Cheers

Ryan

Ryan

I have a complete set of WW1 & WW2 as I said above - all professionally casebound. Both are the first editions and both come in eight volumes each.

WW2 has 3584 pages to the end of the Erratum pages (less covers) plus a 30 page Index. (1966)

WW1 has 3580 pages less covers but no similar Index was issued with the first edition.

I seem to remember that WW2 was originally due to be six volumes but was increased to eight during the publishing run as a result of its popularity. Yes, I am old enough to have bought each issue at the newsagent!

Thanks chaps. Seems my sets are complete depending where you count the back covers etc but all seems well - especially for 40 notes :D

Michael, I will also email you if thats ok to get an index for my WW1 set

Cheers

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one went for £132.01. Quite a difference in prices between this and the earlier one and your purchases. I know EBay is famous for crazy prices but..! Also looks like someone was very careful with their bid increments.

Ali

• 3 weeks later...

I have the War Illustrated by Hammerton all 10 Volumes I picked up at a car boot sale for £25.00. All bound and in very good condition.

John

• 3 years later...