The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1918 The Last Act

Len Trim

Hi,

I have just started reading this book. Seems to have a very 1960s 'Lions and Donkeys' flavour. Any comments on it as a guide to the happenings of 1918 on the western front?

Len

Len, it will give you an overview but there are inaccuracies. I must admit that I did not finish my copy. There are better books available, IMHO.

Robert

Hi Robert,

thanks for the reply. Had a good read yesterday. As you say it is an overview. I am not well enough up on the details of 1918s battles to spot the errors but it has given me a desire to read more. Any recommendations for other more accurate and detailed books?

Len

Good for what happened, where and when. Not infallible but a very good framework to build on. I still like it but the analyses are a bit dated now and I would not quote them as gospel. Well worth reading with these points in mind.

Tom, you have put it very well. Len, are there any specific aspects that you are particularly interested in? Or are you interested in overviews at the moment? There are several types of books available. If memory serves, there was a list composed in this Forum sometime in the past. I will take a look for you.

Robert

Robert,

For 1918 I am still very much at the overview stage. Basically I have come to realise that in my teaching I am filling the kids heads with disasters at Somme and Passchendaele and then suddenly we have won, so I thought it is time I learnt how that came about.

Len

Robert,

I am filling the kids heads with disasters at Somme and Passchendaele and then suddenly we have won

Len

What a great quote. It sums up what appears to me to be most people's understanding of the Great War.

I am no Great War scholar but some good books I have read with regard to 1918:

Kaiser's Battle - Middlebrook

Amiens to Armistice Day - Harris

I have also heard "Forgotten Victory" is good.

Ed

Thanks for the information. Have some book tokens left over from Christmas so reading on 1918 coming up.

Len