The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Aubers Ridge & Rouges Bancs.

Thanks for the photos.

Corporal James Upton, 1st Bn Sherwood Foresters, also won the VC in front of Rouges Bancs. His action was on 9 May 1915 when he rescued wounded men under rifle and artillery fire - one man was killed by a shell while Upton was carrying him.

Neil

Dunno Tom,a proper map might say that but its such a small hill/ridge that it might not be marked.

I tried at Auchan to buy the IGN map for it but,they were out of them.

Fromelles is on the same ridge,of course but we wouldn't break sweat going up either or.

Maybe an original OS map?

Dave.

Dave get Lines Man, if you can afford, you'll have no problems finding places.

Annette

Hi Annette.

I'm hoping to get Linesman this coming couple of weeks.It will be (hopefully) a Godsend as I can double it up as a GPS route planner.

I'm just off to the loo,if I dont get lost on route.It has been known :ph34r:

Superb photos - especially given the weather earlier this week. I took some photos of gravestones for pals on the forum and on Wed and Thurs it was dark all day, v cold and foggy - but your photos have worked very well - well done.

"a proper map might say that but its such a small hill/ridge that it might not be marked.

I tried at Auchan to buy the IGN map for it but,they were out of them."

Not sure of exactly where Rouges Blancs is, but you might be able to find it here - it has IGN maps up to 1:4000 scale

http://www.geoportail.fr/visu2D.do?cg=djox...jYW58MXwxMDB8Mg

If that link doesn't work, go to

http://www.geoportail.fr/visu2D.do?ter=metropole

Enter "Aubers" or "Fromelles" in "Aller a" box. then click "J'y vais". Go to "Ma selection " box on left and click IGN maps, use slider above to switch from aerial photos to maps and + and - on right to change scale.

PhilW

PS

Found Rouge Bancs - about 1 km NNW of Fromelles

Should be here

http://tinyurl.com/2ka9tl

Spot heights suggest it is between 19 and 20 metres above sea level

Cheers Phil,

your a star!

You see the bit on the map with 3 square lakes?north of the decheterie(dump)?That is labelled rouges bancs on one of the army maps I had with me but that is definately the hamlet that was getting the road resurfaced! Brill!

Thanks again mate,

Dave.

I'm sorry ,Tom but Ive never met a George Portal in me life.

Is he big in Aberdeen? He's never bought me a drink & that could be why he's slipped me mind....

Can he sing?

thegreatunwashed.gov

"I cannot believe you did not know about Geoportal! "

Tom,

As you obviously know - it's a very useful site. I know you have posted links to it before, as I have several times. I wonder if a link to it could be posted as a"sticky" somewhere on the site, perhaps with basic instructions as to how to use it? Great for planning visits, especially since the maps can be printed out! Have to say that I usually buy the IGN map when I get to the area - feel guilty otherwise!

Phil

I'm sorry ,Tom but Ive never met a George Portal in me life.

Is he big in Aberdeen? He's never bought me a drink & that could be why he's slipped me mind....

Can he sing?

thegreatunwashed.gov

He's very big down under. A great bassoonist. :P I've just been on the site and I can see yer hoose fae here, man.

I wonder if a link to it could be posted as a"sticky" somewhere on the site, perhaps with basic instructions as to how to use it?

Phil

That would be a great idea, perhaps in the how to use it thread? I am not sure how to do it, when I try, the links are always broken. It has been mentioned several times but of course, if you don't know about it , you won't search for it. Perhaps someone who knows how to create a working link would do so?

Hello David,

wonderful photographs... but I can not believe you were at Fromelles and Aubers without make me a visit at Fleurbaix town hall...

next time do not forget please

Very friendly

Michel

David,

do you still search "cordonnerie farm" ?

Michel

Hello David,

wonderful photographs... but I can not believe you were at Fromelles and Aubers without make me a visit at Fleurbaix town hall...

next time do not forget please

Very friendly

Michel

Hein,salut Michel. :D

Il y a trop des choses avoir a coté chez vous.J'ai fais l'aller retour pour 2 jours et j'ai vu moins que le moitié de ma liste des sites.

Je n'ai pas su que vous bosse au Mairee de Fleurbaix.Je vous envoyerai une message perso donc on peux trouver une date pour un reunion et...oui.Je veux toujours avoir 'La Ferme Cordonnerie'!!!

Merci et a bien tot,j'espere.

David.

Good evening David,

you are right they are many many things of ww1 to see here, we are totally impregnated of that.

I wait for your message and will show you the place of "cordonnerie farm", it is very very close of my work.

Very friendly

Michel

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,Michel.

Je serai en France le 20 mars pour 2 semaines .

David.

• 6 months later...

Here it is,Mick.

Geo

Just type in Fromelles in the left box marked 'Alller á'.

CaptureActiveWindow-20080921-122417.jpg

This is with the map overlay.

CaptureActiveWindow-20080921-122501.jpg

Just find the 'Rue de Leval' & the 'star' spot height 19 is were the bunker complex is.

If you have sat nav,the coord's are on this page for you to input.

The lady with the farm is a bit touchy but ok if you ask permission to park/go look instead of just going.

Dave.

• 7 months later...

Just dragging this up to the attention of all us Brits.

The 9th May will see a magic day at this spot,arranged by our very own Victoria Burbridge & you are needed there.

Go there,get there.Its only a short hop from SE England & I reckon a big Brit turn out will ease the way to easier relations & commemorations in Northern France.We need numbers there.....

Time to stand up & be counted.

See you all there,

Dave.

• 3 months later...

Hiya,

I've spent all day backtracking this area & updated a few photos whilst adding some from Fromelles that weren't available to take on the last tour.

4123661e.jpg

Some of the 'don't forget me,cobber' where we all met up at Victoria's excellent memorial day.

28bd7274.jpg

They seem to have given them a coat of gloss paint.Don't recall if it was like this last time.

0967bf5e.jpgVC corner

I had lunch there & then went off to here,

7376dee7.jpg

Pheasant Wood.

This sign takes you down to the viewing spot for the dig.

cc03aa4e.jpg