The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Grammar School At War

Fred W

I have just purchased a book A Grammar School At War The Story of Ermysted's Grammar School during the Great War by Steven Howarth, the Head of History at the school.

This is an excellent book, well researched and presented. It gives the surname, first names; date of birth, years attended Ermysted's; place of residence whilst at school, highest rank achieved; last known unit served in, decorations if awarded and service history of the 54 masters and scholars who died during the war. It also gives service datails of the 232 members of the school who served and survived.It is well worth £15.00.

I will do look ups for anyone interested.

Fred

No names but I am always trying to track down any 14th or 20th Hussars if you stumble across them. Many thanks

I agree Fred....it is a fantastic read, and should be a template for all those who aspire to write memorial books of this type. As you say, well worth the money.

Andy

Fred, Andy,

Do you have an ISBN for this book? I've been interested to read your reviews and have tried Blackwells and Amazon with the title but no luck.

With best wishes,

David

As an aside, I attended Ermysted's between 1984 and 91. Two plaques to the school's dead flanked the stage in the main hall and there was an assembly on the nearest Monday to armistice Sunday commemorating the school's dead at which their names were read out as well as In Flanders' Fields. I think, but I might wrong, but the old school hall, which was the library in the 1980s, was built as a memorial to the WW1 dead.

Frustratingly, although we studied the causes of WW1, we never linked the war with the school's own dead in the lessons, so it was all about archdukes and generals, rather than the men who went off to fight. I would guess these days it's probably the other way around...

I have just been to the school's website and found details of the book.

Once again, thanks for drawing it to our attention.

With best wishes,

David

As the author of the book reviewed by this thread I really appreciate the positive feedback by Fred and Andy.

Initially I was attracted to the project by the great stories of the 54 individuals on the School Memorial; together they span the whole War. I have attempted to give the context of their respective deaths and this encompasses all the main campaigns of the Western Front and beyond. Adding interest to the 54 profiles provided is the fact that there is wide spread of ranks (private to major) and regiments.

I have also tried to chronicle the impact the war had on the life of the School. Hopefully, the book will have an appeal beyond the the School and Skipton/Craven community. To see more please check out the website below.

http://www.ermysteds.n-yorks.sch.uk/oldboys/atwar/advert.htm

Nice to hear from Halder, an Old Boy of Ermysted's. As Head of History at the School, I can assure you that the causes of the war still get attention but we do study the war itself and the experience of the soldiers. Just today we have enjoyed a visit from Manchester Regiment 1914-18 'living history' group. 3 members gave our Year 9s an 'in-uniform'/'in-character' presentation and it was hugely enjoyed.

You were nearly right in your recollection of where the FWW memorial is based. Its in the room attached to the library. It was probably the music room in your time. The room was originally the School's library when it had far fewer pupils on roll.

Thanks for your interest

Steve