The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Le Cateau 1914

Halder

I just had a good read of this in Waterstone's. Definitely one of, if not the best of the Battleground Europe series. What I particularly liked about it was the coverage of both sides so you have a much fuller picture of the battle (I don't think any of the German accounts have seen the light of day in English before). A must to buy (when I have the money... :mellow: ) The only downside was I couldn't find a bibliography, but that's me wearing my historian's hat rather than being a pure reader.

I've always found Le Cateau much more interesting than Mons ever since I read Lyn MacDonald's 1914 many moons ago...

I only realized this was available late last niight when browsing Amazon.

Like others I've been waiting for this book for ages now......

In the post and on its way. B)

Steve

Succumbed to temptation and just bought it (damn those cheap deals on Amazon...).

Out of interest, are the quotes from the officer in the 19th Dragoons from the regimental history or elsewhere? He's a pretty good narrator of the battle.

Halder

The narrative was reconstructed primarily, but not exclusively, from the published regimental histories of both sides. There is no bibliography and there are no footnotes, because those are the house rules from Pen and Sword for Battleground books and only very rarely are they varied. The piece that interests you is contained at pp 52-54 of Das Oldenburgische Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 19 im Weltkriege Generalmajor a.D. Doering von Gottberg, Stalling Oldenburg 1937. If you want to know any more of the references, ask away.

Jack

Hi Jack,

That's brilliant. Many thanks for the help. I think that's the one I have on order at present. P&S, as I've learned having to edit Normandy heavily, really don't like endnotes (and footnotes they've told me are a real no-no) which I think is a real shame as they add to the gravitas of a work.

I may be really strange, but the first thing I do when I pick up a book in a shop is flick to the endnotes and bibliography. :unsure:

Are there any more in the 1914 campaign that are coming out in the Battlefield Europe series?

Halder

You might be interested to know that after the war, the Staff College organised tours on the Western Front to study various battles. The tour for Le Cateau can be found in the National Archive library which come complete with maps. The battlefield was viewed from various points by the students and these are included in the work.

TR

Im shocked that this book has 250 pages!!!!!!!!!

I'd just like to say thanks to Nigel and Jack both for putting together a fantastic publication.

Cheers

Steve

Many thanks for the tip Terry.

I think some of these were published as books in the mid-30s. I'm sure I read one about the Aisne which was held by Nottingham Central Library when I used to live there 20 years ago.

There's a short but sweet review by me now on Amazon here