The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Immortal Heritage by Fabian Ware.

armourersergeant

Having just been steered in to looking in more detail at Fabian Ware, by another thread, I see he wrote a book about the work the CWGC did during its growing years. I am surprised that the CWGC do not offer some form of this book. Or is it a bum read?

Have any Pals read the book and can comment on it?

regards

Arm

Just bumping this one back up.

Hello Arm

I have a copy of Fabian Ware's book The Immortal Heritage. It is subtitled An Account of the Work and Policy of the Imperial War Graves Commission During Twenty Years. The book was first published in 1937 by Cambridge University Press.

The main part of this book is a reproduction of the Ware's report presented by H.R.H The Duke of Gloucester to the Imperial Conference of 1937. Other parts of the book are:

a prefatory note by the Duke of Gloucester and Ware

an introduction by Edmund Blunden

a table listing numbers of Commonwealth dead in cemeteries across the world (at that time)

a list of memorials with the numbers of commemorated (at that time)

appendices with the names of commissioners, administration members and committee members.

There are also thirty-two contemporary photographs of cemeteries and memorials.

On the whole I found the book to be a valuable contribution to understanding the early work of the Imperial War Graves Commission. I also have Philip Longworth's The Unending Vigil, which is probably the definitive publication on the Imperial War Graves Commission and the CWGC. Longworth's book, first published in 1967, referenced Ware's book and includes further details on Ware's contributions. Edmund Blunden also provided the introduction to Longworth's book.

I haven't sat down and compared Ware's book with that of Longworth to see the differences or perhaps weigh up which book provides the reader with a more informative account of the IWGC and work of Ware. Suffice to say I'm pleased to have an original copy of Ware's book as a reference source.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris for that comparision. I found it a littel strange that a copy was not available through the CWGC, obviously reprint etc but it seemed a miss to me. However as you seem to have touched on here, whilst a good 'how we have done so far' it may lack more up to date details, lost to some who want a fuller read. I like the idea of comparing photos in the book and how they look now though.

Many thanks

Arm

Would also agree this is an excellent little book. I have had a copy for many years, and in recent times have seen copies for sale at some incredible prices, so it would seem it might be rare. Would agree a reprint would be good.

A UK bookshop has one at £75, and a Canadian one at £37. So, anyone who was lucky enough to get one in the old days was indeed lucky!

Best wishes,

David