The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Bath at War, A Derbyshire Community & the Great War by Charles

GRANVILLE

This work was first published in 2007, and I chanced to come across it just yesterday.

On the face of it, if you reside out of the county, you could easily dismiss it, however this would be a big mistake, as this is in my opinion one of the most remarkably researched books I've come across in a long time.

The author takes the reader straight into the buoyant atmosphere which must have existed on the August Bank Holiday just before the declaration of war, as large crowds did the traditional thing and swarmed around the tourist magnet which is Matlock and Matlock Bath in Derbyshire.

From thereon anything and everything which concerned the residents and volunteers of the area is descried in highly readable detail, as the reader is taken through the history of the war. No matter where persons end up serving, on land or sea, the full story is provided. There is tremendous attention to detail, by way of example, the author even informs the reader which pieces the Black Dyke Band were playing in the pavilion on that Bank Holiday!

The publication is substantial, with 524 pages, consisting of 30 chapters (covering the entire war), seven appendixes, and a comprehensive index. There are numerous illustrations, letters home quoted etc etc.

I cannot praise the efforts of Charles Beresford highly enough. (I’ve never met him)!

Published by Country Books/Ashridge Press, Bakewell, Derbys 01629 640670 £20

David

• 3 months later...

Members might be interested to know that the author now has a web-site in connection with this remarkable publication. It is still under construction, but can already be viewed at: www.thebathatwar.co.uk

David,

I got a copy a couple of weeks ago and agree with David. When the book arrived I could not believe the content including details of my men who served on Gallipoli.

Charles had purchased my 9th Bn book from the Sherwood Foresters HQ and contacted me with his congratulations. He mentioned his Matlock Bath book and I ordered a copy. It is (probably) the best money I have ever spent and deserves a wide audience.

Whilst it is concerned with the environs of Matlock Bath, I believe it has a much wider appeal to anyone studying WW1.

I would highly recommend it to all.

Like David, I have never met Charles but will make a point of doing so on my next visit 'home'.

I did not realise that there was a hospital in the area until reading the book - Canadian Officers Convalescent Hospital.

Steve M