The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Stretcher Bearer’s Diary. Three years in France with the 21st Divisi

armourersergeant

A Stretcher Bearer’s Diary. Three years in France with the 21st Division. by J H Newton RAMC

I was alerted to this book by Kate Wills, who saw one recently at the British Library. I was wondering if anyone has read this, or got a copy. I have tried to search on Abebooks etc and it does not show up.

Any comments welcome.

regards

Arm

yes i had a copy several years ago, i believe tim harper had a copy for sale some months ago

regards john

tim harper

Thanks for the reply.

What format was the book, narrative or diary content. Was it any good?

Secondly Tim Harper?

regards

Arm

Found Tim Harper, thanks to a PM.

regards

Arm

• 7 months later...
Guest peter webster

My grandfather, John Henry Newton, wrote this book. I have been trying to obtain a copy, or at least a transcript but without success so far. The British Library has a copy but cannot let me have a complete transcript because it is still uder copyright. I would be very grateful if anyone can help me get hold of a copy. :rolleyes:

Peter,

Welcome aboard the froum. It is great to see a relative of a 21st division man on here. Do you have much about his service record etc?

I am afraid I am still looking myself for a copy!

Regards

Arm

I have been trying to obtain a copy, or at least a transcript but without success so far. The British Library has a copy but cannot let me have a complete transcript because it is still uder copyright. :rolleyes:

I don't know who told you this Peter, but most modern items are instantly photocopyable at the BL, once you have cleared it for inspection by the counter staff.

I don't know when I'll next be visiting the BL, but if you and Arm have not got copies by then, I'll copy it for you. It is not a vast tome, but it is a useful, immediate account.

I'll take you up on that as I suspect you would know anyway!

regards

Arm

• 5 years later...

Did you ever find a copy of this book? I'm looking at a local soldier who served with the ASC attached to the 65th FA:

WISEMAN, W Rank: Corporal Service No: M2/079086 Date of Death: 08/11/1917 Age: 36 Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport attd. 65th Field Amb. Royal Army Medical Corps Awards: Mentioned in Despatches Grave Reference III. G. 14. Cemetery MENIN ROAD SOUTH MILITARY CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of Alfred and Mary Wiseman, of Gosfield, Essex; husband of Esther Wiseman, of Horsehill Farm, Bewdley, Worcs.

A Stretcher Bearer’s Diary. Three years in France with the 21st Division. by J H Newton RAMCI was alerted to this book by Kate Wills, who saw one recently at the British Library. I was wondering if anyone has read this, or got a copy. I have tried to search on Abebooks etc and it does not show up.Any comments welcome.regardsArm

Amazon sell a Kindle edition of this book for 77p.

I think I'm about to spend my pocket money. Thanks for that DJC.

Puzzled!

How comes an RAMC man is a stretcher-bearer?

"SBs" were unit level, and [at least initially] were unit bandsmen, although this changed quickly, especially as combat conditions often meant 4 men were needed for one stretcher case.

Surely RAMC were more highly trained, working with the RMO and at Fd Amb and CCS.

Hi Kate,

Here's a picture of the original to stick on your Kindle while you read the book. It was published by Stockwell in 1931, which might account for its rarity, Stockwell being essentially a vanity publisher.

post-35362-0-55429800-1390318158_thumb.j

Excellent, thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded it.

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

Grumpy

The SBs you talk of at unit level brought the wounded to the Regimental Aid Post (RAP). Each Field Ambulance had a total of 3 x 36 RAMC SBs who inter alia were responsible for getting the wounded from the RAP to the Advanced Dressing Station

Peter