The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bellshill War memorial

eltoro1960

I came across these Lithuanian lads when researching, initially I thought they were from Newtongrange, Midlothian but now believe them to be from Bellshill, Lanarkshire or nearby. I noticed they are not on the Bellshill memorial can anybody shed any light at all.

Surname MATUSEVICE

Firstname Antanas

Service Number 29152

Date Death 29/07/1917

Decoration

Place of birth

Other 2nd Bn.

SNWM roll THE CAMERONIANS (SCOTTISH RIFLES)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death France.

Medals returned

Surname BAGDONAS

Firstname Petras

Service Number 29153

Date Death 31/07/1917

Decoration

Place of birth

Other 2nd Bn.

SNWM roll THE CAMERONIANS (SCOTTISH RIFLES)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death France.

Medals returned.

It's looks like they joined on the same day in Hamilton and died a few days apart. Petras Bagdonas stayed in Bothwellhaugh.

John

John.

FROM sdgw

Regiment, Corps etc.: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Battalion etc.: 2nd Battalion.

Last name: Matusevice

First name(s): Antanas

Initials: A

Birthplace: Suivalki, Poland

Enlisted: Hamilton

Regiment, Corps etc.: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Battalion etc.: 2nd Battalion.

Last name: Bagdonas

First name(s): Petras

Initials: P

Birthplace: Suwalki, Russia

Enlisted: Hamilton

Residence: Bothwellhaugh

Hth

Grant

Grant, thanks for that.

Re Sir Matt Busby, his dad Alex is on the memorial, he hailed from Bothwell.

John

Petras Bagdonas doesn't appear to have a Bellshill connection - can you tell me why you think he would?

There is a memorial for Bothwellhaugh (although the villafe is long gone now) but there are no Great War names - only WW2.

The Scottish War Memorials Project page for Bothwellhaugh is here:

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic....orum=warmemscot

The page for Bellshill is here:

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic....orum=warmemscot

Dave

I have nothing concrete as yet, I am trying to locate them on the Scotlands people site to pin them down. There was a large Lithuanian population in Bellshill at the time, they were brought over by the Lothian and the Benhar Coal Companies to work in the pits, thousands ended up in the Bellshill area and hundreds in Newtongrange area.

They may not come form precisely in Bellshill though , but from the surrounding area instead. They will undoubtably have worked in one of the pits though. I would need a bit of help with the local geography though, I have a outline knowledge of the area but thats all.

Suwalki , where they came from was part of the Russian empire and now lies between Poland and Lithuania, through in Newtongrange they were all called 'Russian Poles'. It just struck me as strange that I had never seen a Lithuanian name on the Bellshill memorial , due to there being four Lithuanians on the Newtongrange memorial, with a Ukranian being added in the next few weeks, I thought that given the much larger immigrant population in Bellshill, there would have been some on it.

Thanks for the link to Bothwellhaugh memorial, such a shame that there is no names on it , it could well be that they were both from there and are commemorated by this memorial.

John

• 4 years later...

Hello Have you got Samuel RIchmond Hope on the Belshill memorial please. And any info would be very welcome-I have lots of photos of 1/5 Battalion Lincolnshire Regt but haven't id'd him. Details are-

Samuel Richmond HOPE

23rd May 1915

Private 3201, ‘E’ Company, 1/5th Lincolnshire Regiment

Died of wounds as the result of the German mining action on the 20th May at trench E1L. (See chapter on the Barton Company.) He was the first Barton Company casualty.

Known locally as Sammy, he was born in Belshill, Lanarkshire, and left a wife Nellie (nee Stone-married in 1912) and a child. He was buried at Manchester Southern Cemetery, Lancashire, having been bought back to England to be hospitalised. his name is inscribed on the memorial walls.

(Ref. Q398 Screen Wall.) There were between thirty and forty war hospitals in Manchester during the conflict.

Sammy lived at 46 Queens Avenue and was highly spoken of in Barton.

Thats good news-whats the local paper called please and ta

During WW1, I think it was the Bellshill Speaker or try the Motherwell Times.. If you are looking for local papers today, possibily the Bellshill Times and, still, Motherwell Times

Douglas

The index to the Evening Times shows a report and portrait photo published on 13 May 1915, p3 and referring to Private Samuel Hope, Bellshill, 5th Lincolnshire Regiment, wounded. If published in the Evening Times then possibly will also have additional reports in more local newspapers.

Stuart

Hi guys this is getting very interesting for me. Is there a print off a or a link to this available online please.

Unfortunately, the newspaper isn't available online. As Douglas says, contact the Mitchell Library - contact details for its family history service and info on the online indices to the RoH here.

Stuart