The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Great War ( help me?! )

Guest Alice

Well Alice, I hope your friend has taken all these points into consideration.

1) When exactly did the war end?

Nov 11, 1918- the armistice , or in 1920 - Commonwealth War Graves Commission

2) By casualties do you mean deaths, or are you including wounded? Casualty means both

3) What countries are you including? Both sides?

christine

Hello Alice

Sorry you did not get a response when you needed it, desparetely it seems. Don't forget that this is a largely European forum, and we were all asleep at 3am.

I get lots of emails like Alice's via my website. The Phrases "Help Me?!" and "I need information" are usually internet-speak for "I am an American student. I have an essay to hand in tomorrow morning. I have only just started it. Please write it for me."

Tom

I hope we are wrong and will see Alice post again, but I agree with Tom . . . <_<

Tom.... I am not going to agree with the 'American' part of your post, but I also believe you have good reason to think that way.

However, bear in mind that as active military participants in WWI for only 18 months at best, with no where near the casualties of any of the other combatants, the war just isn't covered as frequently in the schools here. I think this trend is also a combination of the fact that the Second World War seems more exciting and is keep alive in every type of movie from Indiana Jones to The Longest Day.

I too hope Alice posts again, less desperately next time.

Andigger, no offence was intended to America or any specific American. I suspect that the reason I mostly see this type of email or message emanating from America is that American teachers are further ahead of their UK counterparts when it comes to encouraging their students to make creative use of the Internet as a resource tool. Thus there are more American students around asking for information on WW1 in this way. This is to be praised, but I suspect that many students have made an important discovery - that if you can locate a community of real enthusiasts, and ask your question there, then the replies you are likely to get are going to be A - very rapid and B- very complete. Sometimes, this idea has been taken to such a level that no pretence is thought necessary.

I quote the following two to illustrate what I mean.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 24th January, to another WW1 Forum

Title: HELP PLEASEEEEEE NEED ANSWER 2daY!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

How did America affect WW1? And why was America so important??? (3 paragraphs)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 29th January

Title: Help Needed

1) Information on the battle of Ypres, Mons, Verdun and the Somme.

2) What are these meanings?

-Regular Army

-Kitcheners army

-Conscripts

-Conscientious

3)Information about Field Marshal Haig and the "Butcher of the Somme".

Many thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom

I get lots of emails like Alice's via my website. The Phrases "Help Me?!" and "I need information" are usually internet-speak for "I am an American student. I have an essay to hand in tomorrow morning. I have only just started it. Please write it for me."

I am glad it is not just me then; not all of the ones I get are from American students, and I would say that often when I send info I never even get an acknowledgement that the email has arrived... which is inexcusible with the ease of using email. Sadly, it all makes me less likely to help people... which is not why I put my websites up in the first place.

I think this does highlight a problem in education, where plagerism is becoming more and more commonplace, even at degree level.

Tom,

Fair enough... I have seen similar posts on other WWI sites and agree the implied request is really to answer the question with enough details so that the requestor need only cut and paste to have their assignment completed. Using the internet is important, but teaching the students to use it for proper research is also necessary.

I saw a recent American based WW1 Forum where the following question was posted:

What were the causes of the outbreak of World War 1? (if I remember it rightly)

There were three responses to the question,one was helpful and direct but the other two were headed "We are not doing your homework" with the observation that the person who was assumed to be a student should research the subject using historical reference books etc and not rely on instant information from the forum.

I was a little surprised by the attitude. It reminded me of the old craftsmen of yesteryear who were reluctant to divulge information and "knowhow" of their trade.

Regards

Frank East