The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte George F Jarrold, 12 Royal Sussex, KiA 3.2.17

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Pte George Frederick JARROLD, G/19855 12 Bn, Royal Sussex Regt, who died aged 22 on 03.02.17. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium

Name: JARROLD, GEORGE FREDERICK

Initials: G F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/02/1917

Service No: G/19855

Additional information: Son of Mr. A. J. and Emma Alice Jarrold, of Cavendish Park House, Thorpe-le-Soken, Clacton-on-Sea.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 20

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

SDGW says born in Ipswich

Enlisted in Bury St Edmunds

Killed in Action

12th (Service) Battalion Royal Sussex (2nd South Down)

Formed at Bexhill, 3 November 1914, by Lieut-Col. Lowther, MP and Committee. October 1915 : attached to 116th Brigade, 39th Division. 8 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

Guest Pete Wood

We now know that AJ Jarrold is Alexander Jeremiah. He married Emma Alice (nee Vice) in Woodbridge in Suffolk in 1891; the newly-weds were very young - both just 16 years old!!

In 1913, the family owned a shop selling antique furniture at 30 Cauldwell Hall Road, Woodbridge next to St John’s Church.

George was born in the March quarter 1895, the second of three sons; he also had two sisters. The other sons (one, Charles appears to be a twin), if they served, appear to have survived.

Alexander Jeremiah Jarrold born 1875

Emma Jarrold 1875

John Jarrold 1893

George Jarrold 1895

Charles Jarrold 1897

May Jarrold 1897

Violet Jarrold 1898

I wonder if the Jarrolds were related to the Jarrold Printing Company that started life in Woodbridge 300 years ago - and is still going in Norwich to this day....??

By 1917, the family had moved from Suffolk to the Essex coast. I can find no info about them from this time.....

How’s this for a coincidence.

I had the plaque and transmittal slip for Pte Jarrold’s medals in my collection until late last year when I sold them on. George is also commemorated on the Little Clacton War memorial which is a few miles from where I live in Frinton.

I may still have the images of the plaque and memorial on the PC at home, if so I will post them tonight.

Andy

Guest Pete Wood

Well done, Andy

This has been bugging me, all morning. The address of his parents sounds quite imposing. But I can't find a trace of it. I've sent a few emails to people who live in Thorpe-le-Soton - but no one has heard of Cavendish Park (or house). Someone even had a look at the local T-Le-S war memorial but couldn't find his name. Now we know why....

Here is a link to a Picture of Little Clacton War Memorial and if you click on the roll of honour, his name is there.

I'm not trying to upstage you, Andy. The picture on the site is not great, so if you have a better one please put if up if you can find it.

I'd love to see the paperwork you have on this chap.

Is this our first success with someone actually having (or having had) the medals/plaque for one of the soldiers in the 'Remembering Today' section....?

Pte Jarrold would have been a reinforcement that joined the 12th Bn Royal Sussex, probably in August or September 1916 by his number. The originals of this unit all had a 'SD' (South Downs) prefix. He would have served with them at Hamel and Thiepval, in the capture of Stuff Redoubt, before moving to Flanders in November 1916. In February 1917 they were in the Potijze sector, if I remember correctly, or if not towards Railway Wood. There were a lot of artillery exchanges and trench raids - without having the diary in front of me, can't say specifically.

Below is a group of men from the 12th Bn in late 1916.

post-1-1075811188.jpg

This was his family in 1901:

Alexander Jarrold 26 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Nicholas Furniture Dealer

Charles Jarrold 4 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Nicholas

Emma Jarrold 26 Suffolk Martlesham Ipswich St Nicholas

George Jarrold 6 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Nicholas

John Jarrold 8 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Nicholas

May Jarrold 4 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Nicholas

Violet Jarrold 3 Suffolk Ipswich Ipswich St Nicholas

George