The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Silent Cities" - NMP reprint

AlanCurragh

Hello - I was wondering if anyone had the NMP reprint of "Silent Cities" - published in 1929 originally as a guide to the CWGC cemeteries on the Western Front.

Is it a worthwhile purchase? I'd like to get an idea of how much information it actually contains on Western Front cemeteries. I've downloaded the sample pages from the NMP website but unfortunately they don't contain any actual cemetery details.

I believe it contains basic information on each cemetery, photos, directions and a bit of background. Would it be something you could still take on a trip to the front, and use to find cemeteries (obviously subject to road alterations), or is it more useful as a historical document?

Thanks

Alan

• Admin

Hi Alan

I use it more as an historical document, it mentions railway stations for the most out of the way cemeteries! It is also good to use for then and now comparisons, there is a railway engine in the photo of Philosophe cemetery for example.

Regards, Michelle

It is a great book, well worth having. At the begining of each section there is a map showing the position of all the cemeteries in that section.

Fred

Excellant book. The reprinted photos are not so sharp but still worth having.

TT

Thanks for the recommendations, folks - now I need to decide whether to pay £70 for an original or £18 for a reprint!

Alan

My advice is buy an original. Wish I had but I got my copy for 9.99.

Am still considering buying an original.

TT

My advice is buy an original. Wish I had but I got my copy for 9.99.

Am still considering buying an original.

TT