The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MIC Details

WASMAN

I have a medal index card and it shows the mans theatre of war first served in as ( 3 ) , can you tell me where this would have been, he served with the KLR 1st bat, and entry therein was 27.9.1915

Hi,

You may want to re-think this; the First Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment never served in theatre of war (3). It spent all of it's time during the first world war in France (theatre of war 1a). Theatre of war (3) if memory served me is Gallipoli and Aegean islands but I'll check when I get home and amend if necessary.

For info on the 1st Battalion KLR you may wish to view the appropriate page of the parent website at:

http://www.1914-1918.net/kings.htm

regards,

Alex.

I am pretty sure Gallipoli was 2 for 'The Balkans'. Don't know about 3. Perhaps Salonika?

Hi,

As far as I am aware Theatre of War 3 was the Egyptian Theatre, perhaps your man served in 1st Garrison Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment.

Steve

A few days ago I got my grandfather's MIC from the online PRO site. I reported on this forum that the comments (3) Egypt were on it. This morning I took a closer look, and the 3 is actually a 2; hence, it reads (2) Egypt.

He arrived in June, 1915, and I have no idea where he went from there.

A Catalogue of Campaign & Independence Medals issued during the 20th Century to the British Army by Major N W Poulsom printed in 1969 contains the following information.:-

1914/15 Star Theatres of War (05/08/1914 - 31/12/1915)

1 Western European Theatre

2 Balkan Theatre

3 Egyptian Theatre

4 African Theatre

5 Asiatic Theatre

6 Australasian Theatre

War & Victory Medals Theatres of War

1 Western European Theatre

2 Balkan Theatre

3 Russian Theatre

4 Egyptian Theatre

5 African Theatre

6 Asiatic Theatre

7 Australasian Theatre

The different theatres are sub-divided hence 2a = Greek Macedonia, Serbia & Bulgaria from 5th October 1915 & 2b = Gallipoli & Islands of AEgean Sea from 25th April 1915. etc etc

Steve

Take a look at the scan, can I now take it that the man was with the 1st Garrison KLR and not 1st Bat KLR and that he served in Egypt as he was entitled to a 15 Trio,

post-1-1075942613.jpg

He was certainly entitled to a 1914/15 Trio. In my experience the MIC for 1914/15 Star initially signified which unit your guy first saw service with when he entered a theatre of war. Again in my experience the Medal Rolls signified which unit he was serving with when he finished his service. In Australia you often see a 1914/15 Star to Light Horse and War & Victory to an infantry battalion. My grandfather was British Army and the MIC indicates his battalion in 1915 and the other rolls his battalion (a different one) in 1918.

In your case it may be different as he obviously also served with the Labour Corps. The LC prefix I guess would indicate that he appeared on the medal rolls compiled by the Labour Corps and not the King's. Perhaps the Labour Corps had a different system and in some circumstances named medals to a soldiers previous unit?

Unfortunately your MIC does not signify a battalion of the King's. I don't know if the 1st (Garrison) Btn would be listed as merely 1st Btn or 1st (Garrison) Btn on the medal rolls. What the MIC does signify is that he first saw war service at Egypt whilst a member of the King's so you can probably assume that he served with whatever Liverpool Regiment battalion was there at the time - but then again he may have been attached to another unit.

I don't think there is an easy answer for this one I am afraid. Perhaps one of the Labour Corps experts can assist?

Regards

Tim

I suggest you draw your inquiry to Ivor LEE who appears to be the resident Labour Corps guru.

TD

Hi,

You may want to re-think this; the First Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment never served in theatre of war (3). It spent all of it's time during the first world war in France (theatre of war 1a). Theatre of war (3) if memory served me is Gallipoli and Aegean islands but I'll check when I get home and amend if necessary.

For info on the 1st Battalion KLR you may wish to view the appropriate page of the parent website at:

http://www.1914-1918.net/kings.htm

regards,

Alex.

I said I would amend if necessary. Theatre of war 3 is of course Egypt.

Rgds,

Alex.

The medals of men who served in the Labour Corps after serving in another Regiment/Corps showed the original regiment and that regimental number not their Labour Corps details.

For some reason I cannot read all of his Labour Corps number from the photograph. So can you please put it on the forum as it may help identify his Company.

Wasman

Sorry I cannot link his number to a specific company. However it does look like he was in one of the Graves Registration Unit transferred to the Labour Corps during the late Spring or summer of 1918. Possibly the end of July 1918 when men in Graves Registration units were transferred to the Labour Corps.

Most of the men I have details of with numbers close to his were in one of the Graves Registration Units. Unfortunately there appear to be virtually no surviving records that even mention these units.