The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Cecil HURREN - RASC

Paul Johnson

John Cecil HURREN served as 70966. Gunner. Royal Field Artillery.

He Re-Enlisted on 23/6/1919 as MR/47748 RASC and served until 7/11/1920 when he was discharged under Para 392(xxi) of Kings Regs. "Termination of his period of engagement"

I checked the Medal Roll for the RASC and his number is shown as M.RUSSIA/47748.

My questions are;

1. Does this indicate service in Russia, or am I just being a pleb!

2. Why the Termination of service?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Does this indicate service in Russia, or am I just being a pleb!

Paul,

If you are you asking were the ASC in Russia at this time, then the answer is yes.

Michael Young’s history ‘Army Service Corps – 1902-1918’ covers their activities there in Chapter 14’s less than 6 pages – “The campaign in Russia is poorly documented and only limited material exists on the work of the ASC.”

Basically he says that in June 1918 the British sent a Brigade strength force to Northern Russia; part landed at Murmansk to deny the Germans the Kola Inlet as a U-boat base and part went to Archangel to assist the anti-Bolsheviks. The British withdrew in September 1919. He adds that there was also a Military Mission in the south of Russia, based mainly at Odessa, which assisted anti-Bolshevik forces there in 1918-1919.

Annex ‘R,’ pages 364/5 list the ASC companies and give the WO 95/ ref numbers

Chapter 14, page 187 lists further companies not covered by the above Annex

Hope that this is of some small help

Regards

Michael D.R.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the response.

I am doing some research work on behalf of a family who are trying to piece together their fathers military career.

Seems he was a Gunner in the RFA and then re-enlisted into the RASC. His BWM & Victory medal are in the RASC Medal Rolls and when I looked at his service number the roll said M Russia/47748. When I asked the family they told me that he had served in Russia and that he, apparently, had become "involved" with a Russian countess. (This may just be a bit of history "created" by their Dad, but worth looking into.)

The information you have given me is of great assistance and I thank you very much for it.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r: