The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

10th King's (Liverpool Scottish)

Tom Morgan

I'm researching young Brodie Lyon, killed in action 1st June 1918, aged 19, and buried in Houchin British Cemetery. Can anyone tell me what the 10th King's were doing on this date?

Tom

"Bravest of Hearts" published 2000, a biography of the battalion gives his service number as 359066. 4 others are shown as killed on that date.

It states that the battalion moved to Festubert on 2nd May 1918, taking over trenches from 1/7th Liverpool. The front was described as quiet, but 4 Officers and 24 O/Rs were killed in May and June.

The book describes how your man was amongst a party who were constructing an outpost in front of the trenches when they were caught by shelling and 1 Officer and 4 others (including Dillon) were killed.

The book is first rate and well worth buying (I got my copy via Amazon), there is a Battalion Museum with a web site www.liverpoolscottish.org (v.useful, the curator was one of the authors of the above titled book)

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

Further to Manxman's reply, the Bn War Diary for 1/6/18 states:

"The early hours of the morning were marked by hostile artillery activity - gas shells being freely used. Capt. A.P. DICKINSON, M.C. was wounded whilst inspecting his front line posts; and died of wounds a few hours later. Four other casualties were sustained. The Battn. (less 2 half-Coys, left as garrisons for Bridge-heads) was relieved by the 1/6th Bn. K.L.R. during the evening, and proceeded to "BUSTLE" positions."

Ken

Archived