The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Coyle and Kerridge Canadian family multiple enlistments

John Gilinsky

John Coyle of Edmonton, Alberta enlisted along with 6 of his sons in 1916.

The Kerridge family of Vancouver, British Columbia had 7 sons ALL of whom served overseas at the front (1916).

Does anyone have specific identification of all these 13 CEF enlistees and their services and fates?

Thanks,

John

Hi, John

I'm only finding 5 attestation forms on the Canadian archives for men named Kerridge. Of course, they could be under some other spelling, perhaps?

KERRIDGE, ARTHUR EDWIN DOB 05/04/1886 SGT 116766

Born Wymondham, Norfolk England. Enlisted April 1916, NOK wife in Vancouver

Died 04/12/1919 Son of Arthur William and Ellen Kerridge, of Market St., Wymond Lane, Norfolk, England; husband of Gertrude S. Kerridge, of 131, 15th St. West, North Vancouver.

KERRIDGE, BERTIE JAMES 21/12/1885 3030057

Born Thorndon, Suffolk England. Enlisted August 1917. NOK wife in USA

KERRIDGE, PERCY LEWIS 1888 15386

Born Wymondham, Norfolk England. Enlisted Sept 1914. NOK Arthur Kerridge in Wymondham, England

KERRIDGE, TOM STAMMERS 01/07/1883 114831

Born Camberwell, London England. Enlisted July 1915. NOK Camberwell, London England (mother)

KERRIDGE, WILLIAM STANLEY 24/04/1888 158626

Born Suffolk England. Enlisted September 1915. NOK Arthur Kerridge Suffolk England (father)

There might be a couple of brothers in there... but I don't think they all are. Unless they served with other forces? BEF etc?

Allie

Australian forces:

KERRIDGE Bertram Louis : Service Number - 3073 : Place of Birth - Suffolk England : Place of Enlistment - Warwick QLD : Next of Kin - (Mother) KERRIDGE Florence

Born Bury-St-Edmonds. Mother living in Queensland, Australia Enlisted Aug 1915

KERRIDGE Charles : Service Number - 3989 : Place of Birth - Suffolk England : Place of Enlistment - Parkes NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) KERRIDGE Arthur

This one is a brother to William Stanley Kerridge in the CEF - father at exact same address. Possibly a brother two Bertram? Both born at Bury St Edmonds in Suffolk England. But why is the mother living in Australia? Enlisted Aug 1915

KERRIDGE Charles Nathan : Service Number - 1548 : Place of Birth - London England : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Father) KERRIDGE A

Father living in Wilshim, Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk England. But not the same chap as the above Charles. Two different men named Charles. Maybe we've got some cousins, or just two families named Kerridge living in Bury-St-Edmonds? Enlisted July 1915

KIA 30/09/1918. Son of Arthur and Clara Kerridge, of High Hall, Walsham-le-Willows, England.

KERRIDGE Haves John : Service Number - 1853 : Place of Birth - London England : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (N/A) KERRIDGE A E

Mother living in London, England. Enlisted Sept 1915

There's a few more, but they were born in Australia.

Allie

NZEF

Surname KERRIDGE

Given Name James William

Category Nominal Rolls Vol 4

Regimental Number 72568

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs Balena Mary

Next of Kin Surname KERRIDGE

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address 11 Creasby Road Liscard Cheshire England

Roll 82

Page 11

Occupation Butcher

Not the same family, I'd say.

Allie

This could be a brother to Arthur Edward and Percy Lewis of the CEF in the BEF, considering the cemetery he's buried in.

Name: KERRIDGE, BERT

Initials: B F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Norfolk Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/12/1918

Service No: 23998

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 3. 99.

Cemetery: WYMONDHAM CEMETERY

Another possible brother in the BEF

Name: KERRIDGE, FRANK RAYMOND

Initials: F R

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 9th Coy.

Date of Death: 03/05/1917

Service No: 65005

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Kerridge, of Market St., Wymondham, Norfolk.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 10.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

There are other on the CWGC with NOK in Suffolk, but the parents have different names. so possibly cousins to various men listed in above posts.

Allie

The Kerridge family of Vancouver, British Columbia had 7 sons ALL of whom served overseas at the front (1916).

I can find one lot of two brothers, and one lot of four brothers.

So, to organise everything... the following appear to be brothers:

CEF

Born Suffolk England. Enlisted September 1915. NOK Arthur Kerridge High Hall, Walsham-le-Willows Suffolk England (father)

AIF

KERRIDGE Charles : Service Number - 3989 : Place of Birth - Suffolk England : Place of Enlistment - Parkes NSW : Next of Kin - (Father) KERRIDGE Arthur

This one is a brother to William Stanley Kerridge in the CEF - father at exact same address. (High Hall, Walsham-le-Willows) Enlisted Aug 1915

Their possible cousin is:

AIF

KERRIDGE Charles Nathan : Service Number - 1548 : Place of Birth - London England : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Father) KERRIDGE A

Father living in 'Wilshim, Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk England'. But not the same chap as the above Charles. Two different men named Charles - this one is two years older than the other and was born in London. Maybe we've got some cousins, or just two families named Kerridge living in Bury-St-Edmonds? Enlisted July 1915

KIA 30/09/1918. Son of Arthur and Clara Kerridge, of High Hall, Walsham-le-Willows, England.

Yet another cousin in the AIF may be:

KERRIDGE Bertram Louis : Service Number - 3073 : Place of Birth - Suffolk England : Place of Enlistment - Warwick QLD : Next of Kin - (Mother) KERRIDGE Florence

Then these four also appear to be brothers (so we need another three brothers to make 7 serving. Going to be tricky finding them if they survived and were in the BEF. There's about 239 MICs for the name Kerridge):

BEF

MIC has his full name as Kerridge, Bertie Frederick

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Kerridge, of Market St., Wymondham, Norfolk.

MIC here (Originally in Norfolk Regiment)

CEF

Died 04/12/1919 Son of Arthur William and Ellen Kerridge, of Market St., Wymond Lane, Norfolk, England; husband of Gertrude S. Kerridge, of 131, 15th St. West, North Vancouver.

Born Wymondham, Norfolk England. Enlisted Sept 1914. NOK Arthur Kerridge in Wymondham, England

Allie

Thanks for your time and effort which I am sure we all appreciate especially any direct descendants of this hard serving family.

John

Argh! Computer froze and I lost all the Coyles! Excuse me whilst I post and edit them in one at a time, in case I lose them again. (And drat it all, I'll have to look at all the Coyles on file again as I can't remember their names)

I can only find the father and three sons, not six.

This is supposedly Dad. He's 42 on enlistment, so started his family VERY young if so (considering there's a son born 1886). There's some uncertainty of the spelling of his surname - I wonder if he filled in the form himself or not:

COYLE, JOHN DOB 00/04/1873 279029

Enlisted Feb 1916. His next of kin is his wife, Mary Coyle of 9734 96th St South, Edmondton. Originally from Glasgow.

Sons (I think?):

COYLE, THOMAS JAMES 05/10/1886 826583

Enlisted June 3rd 1916. NOK Mary Frances Coyle (wife), 9734 96th Street South, Edmonton. Born Glasgow.

COYLE, JOHN DOB 16/11/1889 A36111

Enlisted Jan 4th 1915. Next of kin Mary Coyle, same address as above. Born Glasgow.

COYLE, CHARLES DOB 16/03/1893 432256

Enlisted Jan 5th 1915. NOK Mary Coyle 96th Street Edmonton. Born Glasgow.

That's all the likely suspects in the CEF. None that I can see in the NZEF or AIF. None of them are on the CWGC, and no additional possibilities show up (but heaps of the Coyles on there have no additional info listed, so who knows?) There's "only" 633 Coyle MICs.

The only thing I can think of is that they may be listed under COLE - but there's hundreds of them, and I'm not feeling that enthusiastic.

Allie

Merci beaucoup pour votre efforts monsieur. Sil'vous plait keep it up!

Cheerio mate!

John

Toronto

I don't speak French, but I think I caught one word that shouldn't be there. Monsieur??? :lol:

By the way, where did the original info about these families come from? Was it a newspaper article of the time?

Allie

Okay or O.K. (see the Georg Grosz cartoon "O.K."!)

Original information came from "The Canaadina Annual Review of Public Affairs" 1916 edition pages 744 for the Coyles and 783 for the Kerridges. This publication was the preeminent source for serious information and in turn probably got its information from major local newspapers and other sources including military.

The sheer numbers of family members piqued my interest.

Any other information form anyone?

Thanks,

John

Toronto

The only other thing I found was something that pretty much just re-iterated the information on the CWGC.

KERRIDGE Arthur Ernest

Sergeant 116766, 102nd Battalion, Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regiment). Died 04/12/1919. Age 33. Son of Arthur William and Ellen Kerridge of Market Street, Wymond Lane, Norfolk, husband of Gertrude S Kerridge of 131 15th Street West, North Vancouver. Buried at Vancouver (Mountain View) Cemetery. Sergeant Kerridge was awarded the French Medal of Honour

Is there any way to look up citations for the French Medal of Honour?

Allie

The Canadian Virtual Memorial has a little extra on Arthur Kerridge here.

It gives the London Gazette references where the citation can be looked at:

Citation: Médaille d'Honneur avec Glaives (en Bronze) London Gazette # 31150 dated 29 January 1919. Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette # 30706 dated 28 May 1918.

• 2 months later...
I can find one lot of two brothers, and one lot of four brothers.

So, to organise everything... the following appear to be brothers:

CEF

Born Suffolk England. Enlisted September 1915. NOK Arthur Kerridge High Hall, Walsham-le-Willows Suffolk England (father)

AIF

This one is a brother to William Stanley Kerridge in the CEF - father at exact same address. (High Hall, Walsham-le-Willows) Enlisted Aug 1915

Their possible cousin is:

AIF

Father living in 'Wilshim, Bury St Edmonds, Suffolk England'. But not the same chap as the above Charles. Two different men named Charles - this one is two years older than the other and was born in London. Maybe we've got some cousins, or just two families named Kerridge living in Bury-St-Edmonds? Enlisted July 1915

Yet another cousin in the AIF may be:

Then these four also appear to be brothers (so we need another three brothers to make 7 serving. Going to be tricky finding them if they survived and were in the BEF. There's about 239 MICs for the name Kerridge):

BEF

MIC has his full name as Kerridge, Bertie Frederick

MIC here (Originally in Norfolk Regiment)

CEF

Allie

Hi I am Ian Kerridge from Queensland Australia. I can confirm that Allie is correct in placing William Stanley Kerridge, CEF, Service Number 158626 and Charles Nathan Kerridge AIF Sevice Number 1548 as brothers. They were from a family of 18 children, born over a spread of 24 years, 7 being males.

Bertram Lewis Kerridge AIF Service Number 3073 was a nephew to the above. Florence listed as next of kin and living in Queensland was Bert's step mother. His birth mother, also named Florence, died in Walsham le Willows prior to Bert's father,Samuel remarring and emigrating to Australia in 1910.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Regarding the KERRIDGE names quoted earlier; I am related to one of those mentioned on the Attestation forms - Bertie James KERRIDGE. His story is quite interesting, as he was one of many who although living in the US at the time, enlisted in Canada to be able to serve.

He was born 31 December 1883 in Thorndon, Suffolk. Bertie and his wife went to America in 1910. He enlisted 16 August 1917, for the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force. He had been employed as a butler to Albert B JESSUP, at Jeddo, a small town about 50 miles north of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, USA. On 26 August 1918 he was discharged as physically unfit, having been gassed & he had to have one lung removed. I have a photo of him in uniform which may be of interest - attached if I have mastered the way attachments work. There is also a transcript from a US paper frrom when he came home on leave before posting to Europe. If the attachments don't work and you are interested, let me know and I will find another way.

Bertie and his wife returned to England in 1935. He died in 1947.

Through my interest in Kerridge family history, I also have information on all the other KERRIDGEs mentioned in the earlier posting. If anyone would like more info, just let me know

Regards

Andy K

post-37037-1218575902.jpg

post-37037-1218576915.jpg

John

The seven KERRIDGE brothers I believe were as follows:

Already mentioned by Allie are Arthur Edwin, Percy Lewis, Bert (Bertie Frederick), and Frank Raymond.

There were 3 others: Sydney George, James Leslie, and Jack Maurice

There was actually another brother who died aged 18 in 1900 - and to complete the picture, there were two sisters. All were children of Arthur William KERRIDGE and Ellen (nee TOOLEY) in Wymondham, Norfolk.

James Leslie KERRIDGE, or Leslie James as he appears on some army docs, enlisted 2 Mar 1916 at Attleborough, and was called up 30 Mar 1917 aged 18 years and 9 mths -into the RGA. He seems to have been discharged 20 Oct 1917 - I think as unfit, but I struggle to read the document I have.

I do not have any specifics on Sydney George or Jack Maurice but they would certainly have been of an age to be able to serve.

Best regards

Andy Kerridge

Does anyone have specific identification of all these 13 CEF enlistees and their services and fates?

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for the information, Ian and Andy. Sorry for not seeing your posts before now!

Allie

(By the way, I've undergone a name change. Same Allie as above.)