The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Illusion of Victory

andigger

• 1 month later...
Guest Biplane pilot

According to the reviews, IOV dissects W Wilson's efforts during and after TGW in similar clinical fashion to Fleming's The New Dealers' War. I've just finished the latter, which is almost uniformly excellent. Roosevelt partisans absolutely loathe the book but are unable to refute any of it because Fleming makes such thorough use of New Dealers' own words and describes the contrast between avowed policy and actions. There's probably a similarity in that both Wilson and FDR's health were major factors, carefully concealed from the public (i.e., the voters.) Roosevelt had failing health from 1940 and through much of 1944 he was limited to a 20-hour work week. Nevertheless, his navy doctors lied to the press and public about his fatal condition. The first thing he did after his 1945 inaugural was update his will!

• 2 months later...

Just curious (again)..... If this book is still collecting dust on book store shelves, it can't be that great. Or has some one gotten it and enjoyed it? Andy

• 3 years later...
... ah, more than 3 years later I am finally starting this book!

Andy

Andy,

Funny, but I could have sworn I posted a review here years ago. My wife bought the book for me as a present, and I read it...perhaps I posted some other place.

I found the book interesting and I was glad I read it.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Getting through the book and it certainly offers a new perspective. Whereas I disagree with his presentation of the Americans as essentially niave lap dogs of the British propoganda machine in the early years of the war I do think Fleming eloquently presents his point.

Two examples that struck me is the seemingly harsh assertion that Churchill urged captured U boat men to be treated as felons rather than POWs. This meant that they could be shot on the spot rather than being sent to a POW camp. (p. 66)

Additionally, when comparing the British and German propaganda machines and the voracity with which each persued the American public opinion, Fleming writes, "A major flaw in the German character in World War I was a naive righteousness."

interesting.....

Andy

Speaking of FDR's health, his blood pressure just before his death was 300/190 .

I'm confused. Good to "see" you Andy1 - I'm reading "Reading the Man" ... an interesting new Life and Times book about REL ...

The book is easy reading although it is long....

My primary 'concern' is that he is so anti-Wilson, anti-American, anti-ally that even his well demonstrated points start to lose weight. Its as if Germany were invaded and LaFollete was sent to the US to crusade against the infidels. On the other side he does footnote extensively and give concrete examples of his points. It does lend itself to the idea he might be using highly isolated incidents which really didn't demonstrate the true mood of tha nation at the time.

Yes... I am back, doing a lot of reading and less posting, but glad to be here.

Andy

The book is easy reading although it is long....

My primary 'concern' is that he is so anti-Wilson, anti-American, anti-ally that even his well demonstrated points start to lose weight. Its as if Germany were invaded and LaFollete was sent to the US to crusade against the infidels. On the other side he does footnote extensively and give concrete examples of his points. It does lend itself to the idea he might be using highly isolated incidents which really didn't demonstrate the true mood of tha nation at the time.

Yes... I am back, doing a lot of reading and less posting, but glad to be here.

Andy

While reading his book I was reminded of the Lloyd George's rather humorous remark when commenting on Clemenceau and Wilson that he "was sitting between Napoleon and Jesus Christ," at Versailles. :lol:

Paul

Just had to add this next quote, "The Saint-Mihel offensive was the walkover of the war. ... Resistance was perfunctory." p. 268

Anyone care to disagree? ;)

Andy