The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Military Book of the Year

HERITAGE PLUS

Hmmm....

I have some problems with this...

First, "Military Book of the Year" - and one of the shortlisted titles is about a ship. Hmm.

Second, wouldn't it have been, well, neater, to have the "British Army... Book of the Year" be given to a book about it?? That would certainly broaden the field for Great War books

A tough list to choose from. Were it down to me and based on scholarship alone, it would be a two-horse race between Paice and Bellamy. But it's a 'popular vote' - not that I have any problem with that - as opposed to a board of judges, so your guess is, etc.

I'm also surprised that he doesn't seem to be aware (at least for public purposes) of the Westminster Gold Medal from my alma mater, the RUSI which exists to do the same thing.

Hmmm....

I have some problems with this...

First, "Military Book of the Year" - and one of the shortlisted titles is about a ship. Hmm.

Last time I looked the Royal Navy and warships were part of the military. If not, I'm out of a job... :D

Actually, David Hart-Dyke's book is an excellent memoir, one of the best on the Falklands.

However...

There is already an awards for maritime literature, the Desmond Wettern Awards... which is most definitely not open to non maritime books. (Sadly, Hart-Dyke's book didn't win although it was my fave of those on the list).

Would make much more sense to combine them all into a military books awards, with categories for Navy, Army and Air Force.

Shame Jack Sheldon's Passchendaele book didn't make it; to me it's much more of a military book than Paddy Ashdown's, but ho hum. My Normandy book didn't make the shortlist either. :(

Still, mustn't grumble. :)

It was always my belief that the study of warships and the means attached to their employment and use was rather naval and maritime history. Tell several Naval historians of my acquaintance that they are military historians and their noses go somewhat out of joint.

Yes, I know how to use a dictionary.... <_<

Anyway, why don't we open a book... err I mean conduct a poll (nothing as tawdry as money changing hands...) on who we think will win?