The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tanks WW1

Mark A

Hi there- can anyone recommend a book about the tanks of WW1? I'm thinking along similar lines as the very readable "War Underground: The Tunnellers of the Great War" which looked at the development of mining on the western front... from the early "experimental" days to the Messines Ridge.

Any ideas?

Mark

If you're looking at "War Underground" as a model, see if you can find a copy of "The Boilerplate War" by John Foley. It was published in 1963 , two years after "War Underground" and the two books are very similar in style.

Tom

Mark

Another book I would recommend is "Tank Warfare" by F Mitchell MC

just reprinted by N&M Press. I read this book many years ago and has

many accounts of various tank engagements.

There are various other books related to specific battles, Flers, Cambrai,

also one or two about the developement and use of the tank. Let me know

if you want the titles

Geoff

Thanks Tom-

I was certainly thinking along the lines of the War Underground as it went from the early days and chief protagonists... and it wasn't too dry a read. I'll try and find the Boilerplate War" sounds great.

Geoff,

Thanks for replying. Would love those titles.

Cheers,

Mark

There is a 2 part with maps book, not sure of title, Tanks at Flers is not quiite right, it's at home of course, a continuing problem, Trevor Pidgeon I think, a detailed account of tanks on the Somme.

Also I can never remember the book which has a fascinating account of the exploits , near Amiens I think, of a tank Musical Box. You know lots of these machined never reached start point or were knocked out quickly, this one made the Energizer Bunny look bad!

What was the best tank of WW1? Divide into heavy & light if need be. Renault with turret looked the part.

I'll try and find that Paul.

My interest was raised this weekend when I had one of those weird moments- I saw a picture of a WW1 tank and for whatever reason (probably I was tried) it suddenly struck me how odd they looked and how utterly amazing they must have seemed at the time.

Would love to know more about these clanking eight man crewed slug-slow beasts!

M

There is a 2 part with maps book, not sure of title, Tanks at Flers is not quiite right, it's at home of course, a continuing problem, Trevor Pidgeon I think, a detailed account of tanks on the Somme.

The fantastic two volume THE TANKS AT FLERS is currently available from Ray Westlake books at the bargain price of £20.

For some reason I never seem to have enough time or money to buy and read all the books that come up on this forum! Does anyone else have this same problem or am I just a poor manager of my assets? :ph34r:

I would heartily endorse the recommendation for Mitchell's book. A bit Boy's Own at times but fascinating none-the-less.

Fletcher's book 'The British Tanks 1915-19' is excellent. Lots more pictures to amaze you.

John Glanfield's "The Devil's Chariots" is well worth a read. It is largely concerned with the development and introduction of tanks, rather than detailed accounts of their battles. There are some fascinating photo's and diagrams to pick over as well.

• 5 years later...

For an easily digestable look at the men in Tanks, it's worth getting 'Band of Brigands' by Christy Campbell. This book was released not long ago. As for a survey of tanks, I have only read 'Tanks & Weapons of World War 1' by Phoebus publishing. Having been written in 1973, It's got to be out of date, but it's still a colourful well illustrated introduction.

I can't recommend Campbell's book, but anything by David Fletcher is worth reading. John Glanfield's book is excellent; both that and A J Smithers' "A New Excalibur", cover the personalities well - you're likely to get a biased perspective from only reading Stern's account (though that's not a reason not to read it!). I find the Williams-Ellis book "The Tank Corps" from 1920-odd very good, including on the less well covered salvage and workshops side of the Corps.

Gwyn

Guest albert virden
Hi there- can anyone recommend a book about the tanks of WW1? I'm thinking along similar lines as the very readable "War Underground: The Tunnellers of the Great War" which looked at the development of mining on the western front... from the early "experimental" days to the Messines Ridge.

Any ideas?

MarkI

I have just read Trevor Pidgeon'sbook Flers and Gueudecourt from the series of battleground Europe. 15th Sept 1916 was the first time tanks were used in battle at Flers Courcelette,good book with lots of information ,the author has written other books re tanks:Mary

I have a few more:

The Tanks Volume I B. H. Liddel Hart

The German A7V Tank and Captured British Mk IV tanks of WOrld War One

Armour in Profile Volume One

corretion insteas of "Armor in Profile Volume I" The correct title of the book is "Aemoered Fighting Vehicals of the World Volume I (AFVs in World War One)" Duncan Crow.

Osprey also has several books out on WW I era AFVs by either Steve Zaloga or David Fletcher.

Try Rolling into Action by Hickey (one of thsoe who were there). Pen and Sword have it on sale at a reduced price, if you cant find one in a library or second hand

IMO, the best recent book is Ian Verrinder's"Tank action in the Great War" - well researched and most readable (and a Forum Pal to boot)

Stephen