The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

the paris gun

veklee

h idoes anyone have a copy of the paris guy ? ive been told it contains the places that where shelled

thanks

barry

h idoes anyone have a copy of the paris guy ? ive been told it contains the places that where shelled

thanks

barry

Sorry, I don't have a copy, but I have seen one. It was reprinted fairly recently by Naval and Military Press and they had a copy at Foyle's last time I was in London, so it's not too hard to get hold of.

I have a copy of the original 1930 edition of "The Paris Gun" by Henry W Miller. It has a map on p.270 captioned "General distribution of the shells (367) of the four bombardments". Unfortunately, I can't scan it for you, as my scanner is broken, but here's a low-res digital photo of it. The book was republished in 2004 by Naval & Military Press (about £15).

post-11021-1205157270.jpg

Looks like one or two not far from your present abode, Barry

cheers Martin B

Looks like one or two not far from your present abode, Barry

cheers Martin B

hi thanks for ure replies, ill see if i can get book from them ( i need

to return a trench map cd prob do it at the same time )

hi martin u ok, im off in 2 weeks to the philipinnes for 4 months hard life or wot

thanks

barry

thanks

barry

That would be a pretty big thing to store, even in a garage :huh:

Paul

Fascinating book - I learnt a great deal about longe-range shelling, particularly about the deterioration of accuracy over time. Also that there were timed to coincide with the German attacks in early 1918.

There's also a book by a guy called Schindler, Eine 42cm Mörser Batterie in Weltkrieg, which covers the big guns; I've never found a copy (despite trying to for a good decade :( ) so I cannot say whether it contains the Paris Gun, but I know from what I've read elsewhere that its contents include more than "mere" 42cm mortars...

after reading this book it seemed an awful lot of effort for little return the method{and please do not ask me to explain it!} of calculating barrel wear is fascinating!

best regards John

There's also a book by a guy called Schindler, Eine 42cm Mörser Batterie in Weltkrieg, which covers the big guns; I've never found a copy (despite trying to for a good decade :( ) so I cannot say whether it contains the Paris Gun, but I know from what I've read elsewhere that its contents include more than "mere" 42cm mortars...

Richard,

I hate to tell you this, well two things. First, a copy of that book sold on e-bay a few weeks ago. Two, and somewhat better news, Patrick has it on CD... :rolleyes: I have a copy, but popping it in just now my DVD player seems on the blink. I don't remember it covering the PG.

"Das Ehrenbuch der Deutschen Schweren Artillerie," (seems to be my reference of the day) has some material on the Paris gun.

Paul

Richard,

I hate to tell you this, well two things. First, a copy of that book sold on e-bay a few weeks ago. Two, and somewhat better news, Patrick has it on CD... :rolleyes: I have a copy, but popping it in just now my DVD player seems on the blink. I don't remember it covering the PG.

"Das Ehrenbuch der Deutschen Schweren Artillerie," (seems to be my reference of the day) has some material on the Paris gun.

Paul

Paul, as ever, you're a star! God bless Patrick and his incredible collection. Five Euros is a bargain. I'm guessing it went for a lot more on Ebay...

Most contemporary German diaries, e.g. von Einem, mention the Paris gun and marvel at its impact. It's remarkably similar to the reaction of Landsers a generation later in Normandy when they heard about the V1.

Arthur Banks' "Military Atlas of the First World War" (Pen & Sword) has a couple of pages on the Paris Gun including a map of where the shells fell. Simplified no doubt but probably more readily accessible than other sources.

andyp