The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Name, Rank, Unit, Number

Guest jools

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I ask an old question.

I doing this post on behalf of my dad who (at 82) very sensibly refuses to become computer literate. From the Leeds Absent Voters list I have managed to find three of his relatives. I have name, number, rank and unit. My dad may have some of their medals, but he is unsure. He does know that all three survived the war. The units were RFA, 12/13th NF and W. Yorks 2/7btn.

What chances have I of finding out more information without going to London (I'm in Scarborough).

Many thanks for any advice or help you are able to offer. Jools

Hi Jools,

Also a new member to this forum but a long time researcher.

If you write to the PRO you can order the Medal Index cards for your family name.

(Only the Army cards).

These wil be supplied for a reasonable charge as Microfische. Which you can take to your local library and view and perhaps print out.

How many cards you will need will depend on how common your surname is, I have a fairly common Scottish name which had 13 cards (about 1000 names).

Alternatively there are many professional researchers who will look the particular cards up for you at a reasonable cost.

Regards Kayjay

Kayjay - thanks for this info. According to their website, PRO is in process of putting Medal Index cards online - A and B available so far. Should make life easier for us "distant" people. As I'm looking for surname Howes, I shouldn't have too many to trawl through. Jools

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Kayjay - thanks for this info. According to their website, PRO is in process of putting Medal Index cards online - A and B available so far. Should make life easier for us "distant" people. As I'm looking for surname Howes, I shouldn't have too many to trawl through. Jools

More then you think!

One thing you could do is put a post on the PRO section of the forum and ask someone to pick it up.

All the best - Ian :)