The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

12th Division at Loos

Michael

If anyone has the history of the 12th Div can they please look up the 6th Buffs' activities at Loos and any reference to their CO, Lt-Col Eaton

I have found a letter from French which suggests that Eaton's return to England was not due to the reason stated in his service record !

Michael

Hi Michael,

There is no direct reference to Lt Col Eaton in the 12th Division History as such, he appears amongst the staff list in an appendix as having taken command of the 6/Buffs in August 1914 and being superceeded by Lt Col Pratt DSO in December 1915, no reason is given - the incident at Loos concerning the 6/Buffs you refer to is I believe the 13th October attack on Gun Trench when they suffered over 400 casualties, Ive scanned the extract from the history for you below I hope you can read it ok,

Clive

post-2-1076183778.jpg

Clive thanks for the scan, its perfectly legible.

It appears that Eaton was invalided home soon afterwards with laryngitis. However there aren't the usual medical reports that you normally find in officers' records. Instead there is a letter from the Field Marshial, who I suspect was French but maybe he'd been replaced by then (its signed on his behalf), which states that although Eaton was a fine CO, he couldn't command men under fire. It goes on to demand that Eaton never serves under his command again. I need to delve deeper.

Cheers

Michael