The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

“A” Battery. 180th Brigade. RGA

Paul Johnson

William Ashley PEARCE - L/11856 - Driver - “A” Battery. 180th Brigade.

Royal Garrison Artillery. Died Of Wounds on the 6th April 1918 aged 20 buried in the Etaples Military Cemetery, France.

I appreciate that this man died of his wounds and could have received his injuries a long time before he died, but I believe its worth askingthe question.

Does anyone have any info on this unit and where it was located at the time of his death. All info gratefully received.

Thank You

PAUL JOHNSON

Paul: Please note that he is RFA not RGA. Born in Walworth, London SE and enlisted at Camberwell, London, SE. Served with A Battery, 180th Bde, RFA which was part of the 16th Divisional Artillery.

Excerpts from Journal of the Royal Artillery, vol. 47, pages 187-190:

"The Action of the 16th Divisional Artillery Group in the battle of 4th April, 1918, in front of Amiens.

The action of 4th April, 1918 opened at 5-30 a.m. with a heavy German bombardment of all Battery positions, roads, villages, and approaches. . . At about 10 a.m. it became clear that the Germans had pushed their way into our front trenches along the whole Divisional front. At 12-15 p.m. the following order was sent out by Divisional Headquarters to all Brigades: "This attack must and can be stopped by artillery fire. If any battery can no longer effectively stop the enemy from its present position it will at once move fighting to a position from which it can do so. If necessary batteries will push guns up to the crest to engage the enemy over open sights. It is essential that the Artillery should hold the line and they will do so." . . . A/180 and C/180 pushed forward on to the crest and took on the enemy over the open sights.

At 1-35 p.m. A/180 fully exposed in the open was so neutralised by continuous hostile shell fire that it could not bring properly effective fire to bear. The guns were therefore withdrawn to a position under cover. This was no easy task owing to the intensity of the enemy's artillery fire. One gun had to be left behind temporarily as the team coming up for it was completely destroyed; but the gun was withdrawn as soon as another team could be brought up."

My guess is that Pearce was wounded in this action and died two days later. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Thank you for the info and the RFA amendment. This will make a major difference to my research.

The wonderful part about this forum is the fact that other people can spot silly mistakes in your own research which can help you open new doors.

Many Thanks

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r: