The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Black Watch-A Record In Action

Len Trim

Hi all,

downloaded this from www.archive.org its a very good read about the first few weeks of the war from the viewpoint of a private soldier. Lots of action. He mentions a number of German atrocities which he claims to have seen first hand. Children with hands chopped off, baby nailed to wall. Anyone know of this book and author. Is it/he reliable.

Len

Hi Len,

I read this after Tom McCluskey told me about it. Very interesting but I did have some concerns about the points that you mention bearing in mind that the book was written and published while the war was still going on. I had a brief discusssion with Tom on line about it (he is of the opinion that it is factual) and in fact it was again briefly mentioned at our meet last Friday night. One thing I will certainly dispute is his statement that he was the last remaining scout from the 1st Bat. Black Watch at one point in early 1915.

A good and interesting read non the less.

regards

Ian

Hi Len,

I read this after Tom McCluskey told me about it. Very interesting but I did have some concerns about the points that you mention bearing in mind that the book was written and published while the war was still going on. I had a brief discusssion with Tom on line about it (he is of the opinion that it is factual) and in fact it was again briefly mentioned at our meet last Friday night. One thing I will certainly dispute is his statement that he was the last remaining scout from the 1st Bat. Black Watch at one point in early 1915.

A good and interesting read non the less.

regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

thanks for your quick reply. I of course picked up mention of the book in the Tay Valley chat. Only read half of it while under the influence of a couple of large Highland Parks but my history teacher head did worry about the almost cliche like atrocities and the timing of the book just as America was entering the war made me wonder if it was government inspired propaganda.

Len

The existence of books like this is what makes it very difficult to separate fact from propaganda. We cannot just dismiss it in its entirety but it has to be ranked alongside other anecdotal evidence. Only admissable if corroborated. What is known of the author? Who published the book? Are there any contemporary reviews?

Tom,

I know nothing about the author other than the details contained in his book. Some of our fellow forum members with access to Black Watch records may be able to look him up.

The book was Published by Doubleday, Page and Company in New York. Interestingly in it, Joe Cassells scotches a popular story of how the 1st Bat charged with the Scots Greys at St Quentin in 1914. He says that although they supplied covering or supressing rifle fire from surrounding high ground they did not actually take part in the attack.

regards

Ian

• 3 months later...
Hi all,

downloaded this from www.archive.org its a very good read about the first few weeks of the war from the viewpoint of a private soldier. Lots of action. He mentions a number of German atrocities which he claims to have seen first hand. Children with hands chopped off, baby nailed to wall. Anyone know of this book and author. Is it/he reliable.

Len

Hi len,

Did you read my Post?

Regards, Alistair

Alastair,

what post would that be then?

Len