The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Palestine/middle east

Len Trim

Hi,

I have the beginnings of a basic knowledge of the western front and so I am spreading my wings. Apart from having read 'Pillars of Wisdom' I know little or nothing about this arena of the war. Any recommendations?

Len

The Official Histories both UK's and Australian.

The Australian ones are on line here, I don't know if the British ones are.

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/chapter.asp?volume=8

Also War Diaries and Regimental histories are invaluable.

I am sure there are others who could suggest other sources as well.

Kim

Hi Kim,

thanks for the quick reply. I have no doubt that I will soon get round to the Official Histories and war diaries, but I was wondering if there was a decent overview. Something not too heavy for starters. Some middle eastern equivalent of Terraine or Holmes on the western front.

Len

The only book that I know of that covers Gallipoli, Palestine & Mesopotamia in a single volume is The National Army Museum Book of the Turkish Front 1914-18 by Field Marshall Lord Carver. It includes a lot of extracts from the diaries & letters of British soldiers. The only problem with the book is that the maps are poor & make it very difficult to follow the battles. There has been a previous thread on this book. I bought a paperback edition second hand for £4 last year.

There has also been a thread on books on Mesopotamia & Palestine but, apart from Carver, the books mentioned cover only one of the 2 campaigns. Battles on the Tigris: The Meopotamian Campaign in the First World War by Ron Wilcox is a more recent book on Mesopotamia. There are many books on Gallipoli but, again, they generally focus on it alone rather than the other Middle Eastern campaigns.

The only book that I know of that covers Gallipoli, Palestine & Mesopotamia in a single volume is The National Army Museum Book of the Turkish Front 1914-18 by Field Marshall Lord Carver. It includes a lot of extracts from the diaries & letters of British soldiers. The only problem with the book is that the maps are poor & make it very difficult to follow the battles. There has been a previous thread on this book. I bought a paperback edition second hand for £4 last year.

There has also been a thread on books on Mesopotamia & Palestine but, apart from Carver, the books mentioned cover only one of the 2 campaigns. Battles on the Tigris: The Meopotamian Campaign in the First World War by Ron Wilcox is a more recent book on Mesopotamia. There are many books on Gallipoli but, again, they generally focus on it alone rather than the other Middle Eastern campaigns.[/quote

Thanks for the information. I'll check the books out.

Len

quote: but I was wondering if there was a decent overview. Something not too heavy for starters.

You could try 'The Meditrranean Front 1914-1923' by Col. Michael Hickey

It's one of Osprey's Essential Histories - The First World War (4)

regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

that sounds the very thing. I will add it to my reading list.

Len

"Allenby and the British Strategy in the Middle East" by Matthew Hughes is worth a look. It might not quite fit your bill (a general overview type book), but does present a readable description and analysis of the main (Allenby) period of operations there, that is, 1917-1918. Its probably pretty pricey to buy new though.

The chapters on the Middle East in Charles Bean's "Anzac to Amiens" are highly recommended. Yes, they do focus on the Australian aspects of the campaign, but in doing so he presents a decent overview of operations in theatre. The best news is that its free as a PDF on the AWM's website (www.awm.gov.au)

Michael

Len,

A very readable short history is The Palestine Campaigns by A. P. Wavell later Field Marshal Earl Wavell 242pp. A fabulous little (14cm x 22cm) book which has been reprinted many times.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks very much guys. My reading list expands daily. My wife who had hoped I was coming to the end of my "infatuation with WW1" has just given up :rolleyes:

Len

Len,

Before we upset she who must be obeyed by a large expense on yards of library

have a look at what is available at no cost on line

see http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/World_War_I_%28Bookshelf%29

eg: Through Palestine with the 20th Machine Gun Squadron

With the British Army in The Holy Land

How Jerusalem Was Won

With Our Army in Palestine

etc etc etc

best regards

Michael